Mike
MT1_4543.jpeg

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I intend to do some (more) hiking this Fall (though no plans to visit Mohonk again just yet) and hopefully, finally get back to shooting more often...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We may take a drive to Congaree National Park when we are in South Carolina this autumn. We've owned a place in SC for 25 years, but have never been to the park. It's upstate, and our place is on the coast.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Some ultrawide phone snaps from my alma mater in peak colors on my 2nd day there this past week (largely because I mistakenly left my 16-40 f/4 VR home :huh: ) -- haven't gotten around to the rest of my batches (whether from Z6 or some more from phone just yet, LOL)...

16D836A4-3469-4B24-835A-2DF9D024441C.jpeg

8108CBCB-1BE7-44D5-ADED-9BD3AAFA496C.jpeg
59919285-D082-4FEB-AC55-43ED0D20132E.jpeg

C2855ABE-EE21-4BB7-8A7D-3B7B50058CFF.jpeg

F3831F2D-E5F8-4524-BD0A-BD0B1C41F22E.jpeg

C2FD39F1-128C-48BC-8E6B-AC1E4EEFDA08.jpeg

EDDF5134-F759-451C-8675-8462A56EE7BC.jpeg

1E55A80F-779A-43AC-9A79-A06E466E3A30.jpeg

5BF443AA-8F80-4E76-A553-64B10D55FE94.jpeg

0093DB1E-8856-41CA-81B8-DCC00777BB7B.jpeg

8BA4AFE9-0211-4D41-B973-E676D45F0E48.jpeg

Please forgive my apparently fumbly finger in that 6th one, LOL... as I got a bit too careless/negligent there, but felt like sharing that snap nonetheless -- I considered cropping that out, but then, that would probably ruin the compo such as it is... so just imagine the similar color foliage that should be there and now obfuscated, LOL... ;):lol:

And a few more decidedly not ultrawide, but I snapped (and quickly processed) w/ phone anyway (some around same scenes) just because... :P:cool:

F49E758A-1E34-40FD-8A28-AD35F8232BC9.jpeg

CE1F2E94-B0FD-4807-A533-39F1036F7D8C.jpeg

367639B7-D747-450D-96F8-D2E22632741B.jpeg

AD115ABF-EF80-4E11-BE3D-ABCE4E89C79D.jpeg

E311B7B2-065C-4B17-8A71-FF5FF47B32F9.jpeg

5CFF0F71-4760-447F-8FAC-7064F77AE4A4.jpeg

:cheers:

_Man_

PS: I do actually have some more phone snaps (NVM my Z6, haha) from the 1st day, but they were all from my little, steep, uphill hike up the Cascadilla Gorge Trail (from "downtown" Ithaca) mostly w/ far less color (other than some yellows), the very top of which can be seen in the 1st snap of each above series (as that's roughly where the trail ends), on my way to my overnight stay at quite nice and affordable, nostalgic and very close proximity The Dorm Hotel. :cool:

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Some ultrawide phone snaps from my alma mater in peak colors on my 2nd day there this past week (largely because I mistakenly left my 16-40 f/4 VR home :huh: ) -- haven't gotten around to the rest of my batches (whether from Z6 or some more from phone just yet, LOL)...

View attachment 202525
View attachment 202517 View attachment 202518 View attachment 202519
View attachment 202521
View attachment 202520
View attachment 202522
View attachment 202524
View attachment 202531
View attachment 202532

Please forgive my apparently fumbly finger in that 5th one, LOL... as I got a bit too careless/negligent there, but felt like sharing that snap nonetheless -- I considered cropping that out, but then, that would probably ruin the compo such as it is... so just imagine the similar color foliage that should be there and now obfuscated, LOL... ;):lol:

And a few more decidedly not ultrawide, but I snapped (and quickly processed) w/ phone anyway (some around same scenes) just because... :P:cool:

View attachment 202526
View attachment 202523
View attachment 202528
View attachment 202530
View attachment 202533
View attachment 202534

_Man_

PS: I do actually have some more phone snaps (NVM my Z6, haha) from the 1st day, but they were all from my little, steep, uphill hike up the Cascadilla Gorge Trail (from "downtown" Ithaca) mostly w/ far less color (other than some yellows), the very top of which can be seen in the 1st snap of each above series (as that's roughly where the trail ends), on my way to my overnight stay at quite nice and affordable, nostalgic and very close proximity The Dorm Hotel. :cool:
Cornell?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
RIT just isn’t quite as scenic, is it? It looks like a hospital.

Not to mention the mostly hospital-tasting food, LOL... even though Cornell dining/food culture ain't exactly NYC either, hehheh... though they sure seem to have expanded a fair deal more (w/ more of pretty decent Asian fare/variety at least somewhat off-campus probably because of the rather substantial increase in Asian student population, including international students)... while some old "institutions" (like Louie's Food Truck) seem to be fading away (as my last-minute-to-go pizza burger, which seemed just nuked w/ fake cheeze and non-existent sauce, was pretty awful and totally unlike what I had back in the day)... :P

But here yah goes w/ a couple few-yo RIT snaps to wax hospital nostalgic... though this still-somewhat-meager development in one remote-ish corner of campus is probably paradise compared to what you experienced back in your day, haha... ;):D

FE43B438-9259-4F6A-A557-99801D903304.jpeg
50F6C71B-5D20-4CEC-8A2F-14D33C418DD2.jpeg

Nope. We toured RIT and it didn't size up! :laugh:

As they say, "Ithaca is Gorges!" :D

Somebody mention gorgeous? ;):D:cool:

17596E2D-E95B-4392-A5DB-BC3B47C49FEC.jpeg

Of course, all that natural beauty in the area was mostly kinda wasted on silly old know-nothing, city-slicking youngster me back in the day as I actually never bothered to soak up all that much of it... and never even visited the few popular gorges and creeks beneath... until now... :lol:

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not to mention the mostly hospital-tasting food, LOL... even though Cornell dining/food culture ain't exactly NYC either, hehheh... though they sure seem to have expanded a fair deal more (w/ more of pretty decent Asian fare/variety at least somewhat off-campus probably because of the rather substantial increase in Asian student population, including international students)... while some old "institutions" (like Louie's Food Truck) seem to be fading away (as my last-minute-to-go pizza burger, which seemed just nuked w/ fake cheeze and non-existent sauce, was pretty awful and totally unlike what I had back in the day)... :P

But here yah goes w/ a couple few-yo RIT snaps to wax hospital nostalgic... though this still-somewhat-meager development in one remote-ish corner of campus is probably paradise compared to what you experienced back in your day, haha... ;):D

View attachment 202617 View attachment 202618

Somebody mention gorgeous? ;):D:cool:

View attachment 202619

Of course, all that natural beauty in the area was mostly kinda wasted on silly old know-nothing, city-slicking youngster me back in the day as I actually never bothered to soak up all that much of it... and never even visited the few popular gorges and creeks beneath... until now... :lol:

_Man_
Yeah. None of that was there back then. It truly was “The Brick City”.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
🤣 My daughter went to Cornell ('07). We were at RIT cuz she went to some "women in engineering" summer program. My gosh, that was back in 2002! Yikes. Time flies.

My son went to RPI in Troy, NY. Another depressing area (like Rochester)! 😆
Well, I graduated from RIT in 1987. I Have been back twice, but the last was in 1994.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Frankly, when I visited (Cornell/Ithaca) last week, I recalled considering maybe just staying permanently up there after college... and started thinking (again) maybe semi-retiring up there could be swell or at least calling that my part-time home or something like some do, including one former co-worker-friend who didn't even go to school up there at all... and another filmmaking church friend who apparently teaches up at Ithaca College... not to mention the chatty, Bronx(!) native, Uber/Lyft driver who helped me catch my return trip bus (right after my pizza burger pickup at Louie's Food Truck :P)...

Nowadays, even though Greyhound and Amtrak apparently don't actually serve Ithaca anymore, there seems more/better transit options (via bus), especially if one ponies up (2x as much) for Cornell's own C2C bus service, which I didn't actually try this time (partly because their midweek schedule didn't really suit me, especially going up there from NYC)...

_Man_

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have some acquaintances from Rochester, but I just finished a book about Audrey Hepburn and learned that she visited Rochester a fair amount because her partner Robert Wolders has family there and he lived there some after she passed away. That would seem pretty surreal to have Audrey Hepburn visiting your town...

The book is "Warrior" by Robert Matzen. But here's something else I found from a local https://www.winonawoods.com/audrey-hepburn-and-belcoda-dr/

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
🤣 My daughter went to Cornell ('07). We were at RIT cuz she went to some "women in engineering" summer program. My gosh, that was back in 2002! Yikes. Time flies.

Now that I think of it, I wonder what happened to all the dogs on campus? Were they really all inside taking classes (again), LOL? I recall coming across a few uber-brilliant, cool ones nonchalantly taking classes alongside me back in the day, LOL -- they surely musta been waaay smarter than most of us Bell-curved, stressed out, teenaged humanoids since they only ever bothered to stick around and mosey for short bits and regularly cut classes and/or maybe galavanting thru many more like 40 credits worth per semester or something, LOL... ;):P:D

I certainly recall there being lots more dogs roaming around campus, but I didn't actually go inside any buildings (other than the campus store) on this visit. For some nostalgic fun, I considered sitting in a lecture or two (like Psych 101 or Astro 101 or whatever they're called now or maybe even a Comp-Sci-related one I guess, perhaps taught by David Gries who's apparently been teaching there since just before I was born... sometime around the Moon Landing, LOL, and I recently heard gave up his retirement status/pension/tenure(?) some time ago to teach again... at the ripe-young-age of 80-something by now) and maybe checking some other areas I spent most of my indoor times, but I never got to that -- maybe next time, especially if I stay an extra day or so...

My son went to RPI in Troy, NY. Another depressing area (like Rochester)! 😆
Well, I graduated from RIT in 1987. I Have been back twice, but the last was in 1994.

I don't blame you for not visiting much. Still ain't that much there. The 2 snaps of that remote corner of campus I showed pretty much illustrate all the best of "niceties" that seemed to be added over the last 3 decades, but definitely don't look too closely though -- as you can tell, even those new buildings, including that B&N, look kinda like very flat/square, no-frills, giant dollhouses and cookie-cutter hospitals, LOL, and I guess they might've added a few others for dorms/housing and dining halls and such on main parts of campus since you last visited...

As I recall, RIT was built on fairly barren, swamp land off a southern edge/side of town. Plenty of very flat, open space for sure... much of it laid w/ concrete and pavement... completely opposite of Cornell... though I'm definitely not crazy about all the new buildings they squeezed onto Cornell's North Campus (where I lived w/ my circle of friends for most of 3 years), which used to be far more open and spacious... For those not familiar, the couple snaps of the (Triphammer) Falls and nearby couple bridges are at the primary connecting point/intersection (though there are certainly other less-heavily-traversed paths further off) between (mainly residential) North Campus and Main/Central Campus, so yeah, I spent ~3 years trekking thru that area multiple times just about everyday, except during long school breaks (when we generally wouldn't be allowed to stay in on-campus housing anyway), heh...

In the winter, some like to just walk across frozen Beebe Lake (just east of that Falls... reaching just about where the Botanic Gardens are). Whenever I watch that late night frozen lake scene in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, it reminds me a bit of crossing and/or hanging out a bit late at night on frozen Beebe Lake, heh...

I have some acquaintances from Rochester, but I just finished a book about Audrey Hepburn and learned that she visited Rochester a fair amount because her partner Robert Wolders has family there and he lived there some after she passed away. That would seem pretty surreal to have Audrey Hepburn visiting your town...

The book is "Warrior" by Robert Matzen. But here's something else I found from a local https://www.winonawoods.com/audrey-hepburn-and-belcoda-dr/

One wonders... though Rochester seems fairly spacious/sprawling and not really densely populated at all even now, so maybe she didn't actually draw quite that much attention, especially if she actually tried to avoid that... It seems a fairly quaint, "small town" for a sizeable city in terms of population density/size (particularly if one thinks of NYC, Boston and Philly), but isn't actually quite that small in physical size. Probably a lot like many southern cities (in many regards) perhaps far more so than like NYC metro or Boston or even Philly -- of course, there are also other such fairly lightly populated cities in the Northeast too like neighboring Buffalo, nearby Syracuse and then Albany... and Pittsburgh isn't quite that far off to its southwest while still being (barely) in the Northeast...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks