What's new
World Wide Stereo

Should I buy a 1080 projector in 2019 (1 Viewer)

drtushar

Auditioning
Real Name
Tushar Agarwal
Thanks for the detailed reply .
I actually started out with this thinking only.
I have been made to believe by the dealer that putting money in 1080p will be a waste.
I saw a comparative demo of deadpool in 4K vs 1080p ( same Sony projector, different discs). I found them to be same. That is why I worded my question like this for this post.
Choice is between vw65es (1080p) vs vw270es(4K). One is the higher end 1080p. Other is lower end 4K and still more expensive than the 65es.
Thanks in advance .
Apologies if my logic seems too simplistic.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'd see if you can work out a deal to bring it home and demo it.

that way you dont have any sales pressure... but will have actual experience with one or the other.

i mean... this is the price of a decent used car here ;) take 'em for a test drive :)

Thanks for the detailed reply .
I actually started out with this thinking only.
I have been made to believe by the dealer that putting money in 1080p will be a waste.
I saw a comparative demo of deadpool in 4K vs 1080p ( same Sony projector, different discs). I found them to be same. That is why I worded my question like this for this post.
Choice is between vw65es (1080p) vs vw270es(4K). One is the higher end 1080p. Other is lower end 4K and still more expensive than the 65es.
Thanks in advance .
Apologies if my logic seems too simplistic.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I got the sense that buying a 1080p is really akin to buying a film camera in early 2000s

I don't think that's necessarily true.

I think it comes back to the original question - what kind of content are you going to be watching on this projector?

There are many people who primarily watch material that is only on DVD or Blu-ray; in that case, there's absolutely no need to get 4K if nothing that you watch is actually in 4K. On the other hand, if your interests are primarily in UHD discs and 4K streaming, then there are clearly advantages to having a 4K projector.

Other than that I read that Epson and others make a faux-4K.

I don't think the "faux-K" designation is particularly useful. The UHD spec is more than just increased resolution - it's also increased contrast and color support. While the Epson projector comes up a little shy on pixel count, it does incorporate advances in contrast and color. And generally, most users cannot perceive the difference between native 4K and what you call "faux-4k" -- it's not the pixel count that makes the biggest difference.

If you're on a budget and want something that will work well for your needs today while also future-proofing you, don't discount Epson simply because it's what you call "faux-4K" - you will probably get more value per dollar spent out of an Epson projector than any other brand. Which is not to say that it's your only choice. But I don't think it's helpful to be dismissive of it out of hand if staying within a budget is a priority for you.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
actually Josh brings up another point that made me think... when mfr like Epson sells a large volume of projectors (just like any other display mfr) in the future, it makes sense that they will only sell these chipsets so consolidate volume and cost. so in the future... you will actually have a hard time finding a 1080p ONLY projector anyways. it will probably get phased out as TI slowly makes only certain chipsets that mfr can get their hands on.

just like mfr will deplete the older 720p/1080p and only mfr 4k panels... so it will be for projector makers.

just food for thought in terms of support.

you will probably get more value per dollar spent out of an Epson projector than any other brand. Which is not to say that it's your only choice. But I don't think it's helpful to be dismissive of it out of hand if staying within a budget is a priority for you.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm in the dark (pun intended) regarding projectors, but I've often found that with emerging technologies, it can make sense in the long run to get an "old" tech product as the new one evolves. Then give the new tech some time to develop and prices to go down, then get the new tech a couple years later. Often, the total money spent is less and the final new tech product is vastly superior to what was available for any reasonable price then the old tech product was bought.

Like I said, I don't know the state of 4K projectors, but my impression is it's still a little early in it's development. I could be wrong, but that's my impression.

BTW, regarding the possibility of projectors ever equaling the image quality of OLED, that's physically impossible. Reflected light can never match the capabilities of emitted light. It's an unavoidable difference.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
BTW, regarding the possibility of projectors ever equaling the image quality of OLED, that's physically impossible. Reflected light can never match the capabilities of emitted light. It's an unavoidable difference.

To a certain degree, isn't that just a preference thing?

I prefer the look of images in projection over direct view. So that means that I will always find a projector "better" than a TV because I prefer the qualities of projected images.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My choice would be a low end Sony 4K projector. I know the faux4k models can look very good but personally I would rather have a native 4K picture from source to projector. Currently I have a Sony XDR55A9F 55" 4K OLED and would love to go the Sony 4K projector route but most likely will have to move to an apartment maybe as early as the end of next year. For a 120" screen there needs to be 14'-6" between the projector and screen and I am not sure I will have that much room in an apartment. But for your use you need to decide for yourself if your ok taking a 4K UHD source and downscaling it to 1080p and then letting the faux4k projector do it's pixel trick to simulate 4K even if it looks nice. Granted it is bound to look better than taking a 4K source and just downscaling it to a standard 1080p projector. Personally I would wait a bit longer and save for a native 4K projector. Another reason I would go native 4K is I am tired of upgrading over and over again. Then again if the money was no object I would not rule out the JVC ether, both 4K projectors from JVC and Sony to my knowledge get good reviews.

SonyVPL-VW300ESAngle.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But for your use you need to decide for yourself if your ok taking a 4K UHD source and downscaling it to 1080p and then letting the faux4k projector do it's pixel trick to simulate 4K even if it looks nice.

That’s not how it works!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
To a certain degree, isn't that just a preference thing?
Preference plays into everything. I mean, there are millions of people who will bet their life on the belief that Bose is the end all and be all of sound reproduction. We all grew up with movies front projected on a screen, so that fact alone can be the basis for preferring that look.

I'll come back later with a more detailed explanation of what I was saying. I don't know much about the current tech of video projectors, but the reproduction of images has been my life, and I not only worked in the field but had an extensive and intensive education from one of the top schools in the country. Many of the same physics apply whether it's film based projection or digital. There are just basic differences in the capabilities of reflected, transmitted and emitted light. Individuals might prefer one over the other, but that doesn't negate the laws of physics.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Of course.

But what I’m saying is - an OLED may objectively put out more light than a projector. But the image might not appear more pleasing to someone doing a comparison. I know given the choice between a flat panel and a projection screen of the same size, I prefer the characteristics of a projected image.

The larger size of a projected image can also make a difference for people comparing a smaller OLED set to a larger projection screen. If image size is your priority, you will be more satisfied with a larger screen vs a smaller one.

I think we’re in agreement but seem to be disagreeing because of the language from the post we’re responding to.

When you’re saying projection can’t equal OLED, that may be technically true according to the measurement of certain specs. But another person who values immersion over other specs might also say an OLED can’t equal projection. “Equal” isn’t a technical term in this context so what “equal” means could be different to each reader.

And that’s why, for instance, I prefer my 1080p projector over my 4K TV. The projector always looks better to me than the TV, because it produces an image with the characteristics I most prefer.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
To boil down what my initial point is...

The comment I was responding to was hoping that projectors would eventually achieve the same image quality (maybe "characteristics" is a better word) as OLED. That's physically impossible. The image created by an OLED panel is pure, direct emitted light, which has certain characteristics that can never be reproduced with reflected light. They are inherently different. A rear projected image can get closer to the impression of OLED, but it still can never be the same. People will always prefer one over the other for various reasons.

It's not just about specs and brightness.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yes, then we're in agreement I think.

Though I think that when the poster was saying that he hoped projection would one day match OLED, he might have been talking about how, for instance, Dolby Vision isn't currently available on projectors but is on many flat panels - it is certainly possible that that could change in the future, bringing the two technologies closer in line with each other in terms of what amenities are being offered to the consumer.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
whereas... if you purchase a high end 1080p, it gives the most value/bang for bucks since most of video content today we ingest is barely 1080p let alone 4k.

Ironically, I think this statement in favor of 1080P actually perfectly makes the point as to why it should be avoided, at least for serious HT enthusiasts. No 1080P projector can offer WCG or HDR support which [most agree] are the real treats with "4K" displays.

My choice would be a low end Sony 4K projector. I know the faux4k models can look very good but personally I would rather have a native 4K picture from source to projector.

But this is not likely today or in the near future, no matter what projector you choose, because there just isn't very much [if any] content actually mastered in true 4K.

@drtushar - I would strongly recommend [if reasonably possible where you live] that you view native 4K and "faux K" models side-by-side before making a decision, especially if you want to stay within budget. I could have easily afforded "true 4K," from Sony or JVC, but when I weighed it all out the Epson 6050UB was my choice and I haven't been disappointed. Not saying it's right for everyone, only that I considered the aforementioned models yet settled on the Epson for my specific needs, which are great picture quality, support for HDR, WCG and 3D.

Last edited:

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
wait so how is dolby cinema projection dolby vision?

re: hdr on 4k products if it aint as bright as oled or better why bother with a half baked product?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

There's a difference between Dolby Vision being available in the high-end theatrical market (which it is) and not being available in the consumer market for home projectors (where it is not).

re: hdr on 4k products if it aint as bright as oled or better why bother with a half baked product?

Because brightness isn't everything, and simply because a device can be turned to be X amount of brightness doesn't mean that that is actual the proper way to view that content.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Honestly not sure where you're going with this. I never mentioned Dolby Cinema.

If you think projectors are "half baked" then you should probably find another forum. I have OLED's in my home but, for my dedicated room I prefer a projector because it offers screen sizes that cannot be matched by OLED's at affordable levels.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
au contraire mon ami i’ve had a projector since 2005 :) just upgraded from 720 to 1080.

as for the dolby cinema my logic is if dolby can project dv at a reasonable nit at the cinema it stands to reason the tech will trickle down to consumer level in time

Honestly not sure where you're going with this. I never mentioned Dolby Cinema.

If you think projectors are "half baked" then you should probably find another forum. I have OLED's in my home but, for my dedicated room I prefer a projector because it offers screen sizes that cannot be matched by OLED's at affordable levels.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
as for the dolby cinema my logic is if dolby can project dv at a reasonable nit at the cinema it stands to reason the tech will trickle down to consumer level in time

Australia?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks