What's new

Shot in the dark - X-Com (1 Viewer)

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Does anyone remember this totally kick-ass game?

I have a hankering for it, does anyone have any idea where I can find the original (X-Com - UFO Defense)

All I can find is a PSX version and a new version of it that's a shooter or something lame like that.

thanks, mark

ick, sorry, i guess this prolly goes in Gaming Software. my bad

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I love X-com. Oddly enough, i have spread the addiction (that once dominated all of my friends lives) to a few people over this year-- one called me 2 days ago and left a voicemail saying "I finally beat x-com, greatest game ever"

1) The PSX version of X-com UFO defense is identical to the PC version, it is not a "shooter". The PSX version plays almost identical to the PC version if you have the PSX mouse!

One bug in the PSX version made it so it almost never lets you save your game during a a mission-- and what's worse if you try to save and fail, it overwrites your old saved game so you're SOL. The game only allows a single saved game per card, and has been known to do very bad things to mem cards (nuke every other game on a card for example!)

2) X-com is available for PC still. In fact, there is a set called "X-com legacy" which contains UFO DEFENSE, TERROR FROM THE DEEP (cheesy sequel that is identical only underwater), and X-COM APOCALYPSE (a new, less turn based, more advance x-come game).

I've seen the 3 disc set at KayBee toys for $14.

-Vince

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I've never heard of KayBee toys, they must be american only?

Do they have a website?

i'll do a search for this X-Com legacy pack though, thanks

mark

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Something for XCom fans to keep an eye out for: Laser Squad Nemesis. It's by the Gollop team, the guys behind XCom, and will be a play by email game using a souped up engine, based around the Laser Squad world - the game they worked on before XCom. Very similiar in concept & execution.

It's going to be self-published by them very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks