What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Sequels to classic TV shows (1 Viewer)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I see Phyliis as more of a spin off, like Joanie Loves Chachi, or Frazier, than as a sequel

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Since you mentioned Lou Grant, it made me think of The Mary & Rhoda TV movie from 2000. I could hardly watch it.

I have always seen this movie as such a lost opportunity for TMTMS and RHODA fans!!!

I always liked both RHODA and PHYLLIS over TMTMS and was really looking forward to this movie when it first aired. Was way disappointed.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
OH and as for the above comment, there are TOTAL differences between spinoffs and sequels/reunions.

Spinoff take a character or characters from a show and put them in a new environment with a new supporting cast. Like Frasier from Cheers, Maude from All In The Family, Phyllis from TMTMS.

Reunions/Sequels is taking the cast of a show that has been cancelled for some period of time and bringing them back together as the same characters. Examples like Still The Beaver from Leave It To Beaver, Sanford from Sanford And Son.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Spinoff take a character or characters from a show and put them in a new environment with a new supporting cast. Like Frasier from Cheers, Maude from All In The Family, Phyllis from TMTMS.

Reunions/Sequels is taking the cast of a show that has been cancelled for some period of time and bringing them back together as the same characters. Examples like Still The Beaver from Leave It To Beaver, Sanford from Sanford And Son.

Per spinoffs: others are Gary Ewing of Dallas on Knots Landing, Fallon Colby of Dynasty on The Colbys, etc.

Per reunions: some of those have included Dynasty: The Reunion from 1991, J.R. Returns and War of the Ewings from 1996 and 1998 respectively (both from Dallas), and Knots Landing: Back to the Cul-De-Sac from 1997.

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Dragnet '67 , Dragnet -theatrical movie in 1954 and in color
Bring Me The Head Of Dobie Gillis 1988, What Ever Happened To Dobie Gillis- 1977,
The Line Up- 1958 theatrical movie
Gunn- 1967 theatrical movie with Craig Stevens
Do the McHale's Navy and Munster theatrical movies count, I mean the ones that were released while the original shows were still on?
Sword Of Sherwood Forest- 1960 theatrical with Richard Greene as Robin Hood
Make Room For Granddaddy- 1970

Last edited:

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I enjoyed The Return of Ironside

- even tho' they relocated it to Denver, instead of San Francisco, Raymond Burr got the entire main regular cast back (except Gene Lyons who played Comissioner Dennis Randall passed away during the original show's run, while the only other absentee from the original show, Johnny Seven's character Lt. Carl Reece was a semi regular)

it was great to see Barbara Anderson back as Eve Whitfield - duly meeting her series replacement Fran Belding (Elizabeth Baur) - Eve was a main character in the story too re her grown up daughter

fun to see JUDGE Mark Sanger...who was a juvenile with 'attitude' in the 1967 pilot !
the story was good. too

- one of the better sequels it was Raymond Burr's final role I believe filmed just after his final 'Perry Mason Returns' TV Movie

I used to look out for Ironside's H.Q. building in 'The Streets of San Francisco' later...I'm sure I spotted it in the background of one episode...

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Actually, the building in "Ironside" was the old Hall of Justice which was demolished during the production of the show's first season which meant every view of it throughout the rest of the run was a stock shot approaching a decade old. "Streets" being filmed on location wouldn't have needed to use old stock footage.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I also like The Return of Ironside, although I was disappointed that, apart from Don Galloway, the original supporting cast was mostly reduced to cameo appearances. Barbara Anderson got that one good scene to play with her chatacter's daughter, but Don Mitchell and Elizabeth Baur didn't even get that much.

I believe it was filmed before the last Perry Mason movie, so Burr was in slightly better condition for it.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks for the info re Ironside's building - I must have spotted another building like it with those distinctive shaped windows in 'Streets of San Francisco' later

it's interesting to look at San Fran in 'Ironside' then 'Streets of...' / 'McMillan and Wife'... then later again in 'Nash Bridges' to see how much the city by the bay changed between sixties and nineties - only the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, and Coy Tower (was it an old lighthouse ?) seem to be ever present...

likewise New York from 'Naked City' (1948 film to late fifties/ early sixties TV show) to 'N.Y.P.D.' to 'McCloud' & 'Kojak'...to 'The Equaliser' on to 'N.Y.P.D. Blue' and 'Law and Order' etc...

yeah it's a shame several of the Ironside regulars didn't have bigger roles in 'Return of...' but it was still a decent TV Movie

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Given the nature of the cameos, an argument could be made for the Ben Stiller/Owen Wilson Starsky and Hutch movie being a sequel to the "Starsky & Hutch" TV series.

A more recent example -- for both shows -- is "Girl Meets World", which is a true sequel to "Boy Meets World". The titular boy and his series-long love interest are now parents to the titular girl of the new series. In addition to being dad, the "Boy" is now the "Girl's" teacher. Nearly the entire cast of the original series, including 89-year-old William Daniels, have appeared at one point or another.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Two series which cotinued with the same protagonist, but under a new name and with a change of circunstances.

Burke's Law... Amos Burke... (Gene Barry: first a kind of private investtor, then a super spy)
Empire... Redigo (Richard Egan, first as foreman of a rich's family ranch and oil field,in this great modern western, then, reduced to a 30 minute show, as owner of his own ranch).

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Two series which cotinued with the same protagonist, but under a new name and with a change of circunstances.

Burke's Law... Amos Burke... (Gene Barry: first a kind of private investtor, then a super spy)
Empire... Redigo (Richard Egan, first as foreman of a rich's family ranch and oil field,in this great modern western, then, reduced to a 30 minute show, as owner of his own ranch).

You mean like Lucy McGillicuddy Ricardo becomes widow Lucille Carmichael with two teenagers then becomes Lucille Carter with different kids whose real last names are the same as the real name of her husband in the first show ...I Love Lucy :D !

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
You mean like Lucy McGillicuddy Ricardo becomes widow Lucille Carmichael with two teenagers then becomes Lucille Carter with different kids whose real last names are the same as the real name of her husband in the first show ...I Love Lucy :D !

I meant that the series' name changed, but in the examples I gave the protagonist's name remained the same.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I've never seen it, but was an official reason ever given for why My Three Sons and The Partridge Family were combined for a reunion special? Aside from both shows centering on single-parent families (at least until Steve married Barbara later on), the sitcoms aren't all that similar. Such an odd, seemingly random pairing.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
The cult favorite Coronet Blue (1965) was a sequel of sorts from The Nurses: supposedly the protagonist (played by Frank Converse), who suffers from amnesia, takes him name from a doctor and the hospital where he was revived: Michael Alden.
Alden General Hospital was the fictional name of the hospital in The Nurses.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've never seen it, but was an official reason ever given for why My Three Sons and The Partridge Family were combined for a reunion special? Aside from both shows centering on single-parent families (at least until Steve married Barbara later on), the sitcoms aren't all that similar. Such an odd, seemingly random pairing.
I did actually see this reunion special when I was 13 years old. From what I can recall, it was an hour long, and I believe it consisted mainly of Fred MacMurray and Shirley Jones separately hosting their respective segments, during which clips from MY THREE SONS and THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY were shown.

Regarding similarities of each Family Sitcom, I do recall that the youngest son on MTS was adopted, and if my recall is correct, one of TPF segments shown, was a scene in which Danny Partridge talks about thinking he was adopted; so there might have been a number of other similarities that were drawn upon, although almost 40 years on, memories do tend to fade and blur somewhat! :huh:

There isn't a lot of information on the following link, but it's a Thanksgiving reunion special, and here it is:
http://www.tv.com/shows/my-three-so...he-partridge-family-and-my-three-sons-200261/

A bit more about the joint Thanksgiving Special can also be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Three_Sons#Reunion_special

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The cult favorite Coronet Blue (1965) was a sequel of sorts from The Nurses: supposedly the protagonist (played by Frank Converse), who suffers from amnesia, takes him name from a doctor and the hospital where he was revived: Michael Alden.
Alden General Hospital was the fictional name of the hospital in The Nurses.

Good knowledge!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks