What's new

Selling your iPhone 11 online? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is not a sponsored post as we have no affiliation with any of these companies...

If you are selling your iPhone online...

Apple will not give you nearly the best price. For an iPhone 11 Pro Max 512GB they only offered $500

Decluttr gave the best price $742. However, they have very mixed reviews as far as dependability.

SellYourMac gave me a price of $657

BuyBackWorld with iPhone12 promo code gave me a price of $665

I have used SellYourMac and BuyBackWorld before. Both great. In this case, I am going with BuyBackWorld because they had the best offer and the only company that gives you till November 30th to return your iPhone. The other companies you only have under 30 days from now.

EDIT: If you email SellYourMac and ask for a November 30th sell extension they will honor it. I went with SellYourMac as I found their service to be absolutely excellent. I just sold my Apple Watch 5 to them in the last month and got paid very quickly.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron you really should get on the yearly plan rather than playing these games.

Am I really saving money? I just hate monthly payments and would rather pay off my device in full.

And Apple Trade-In price is pretty crappy.

And, am I paying extra for Apple Care that I don't want?

But, if there is an upside, I am all ears

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
There is no trade in. You just pay the monthly amount and you get a new iPhone every year, send the old one back. If something breaks, they fix it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There is no trade in. You just pay the monthly amount and you get a new iPhone every year, send the old one back. If something breaks, they fix it.

Sam,

It's a compelling thought. I hate monthly payments but I do have the money set aside so I would be drawing from that.

The other issue is that I would have to apply for the program and that's a hard credit check against my credit score which I don't particularly like.

QUESTION...

If I join the program, does it give me the option at checkout to pay with that program option?

I just want to be certain my preorder process is not slowed down

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If I join the program, does it give me the option at checkout to pay with that program option?

I just want to be certain my preorder process is not slowed down

Yes. You can join the program before you order then use your eligibility at checkout.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is not a sponsored post as we have no affiliation with any of these companies...

If you are selling your iPhone online...

Apple will not give you nearly the best price. For an iPhone 11 Pro Max 512GB they only offered $500

Decluttr gave the best price $742. However, they have very mixed reviews as far as dependability.

SellYourMac gave me a price of $657

BuyBackWorld with iPhone12 promo code gave me a price of $665

I have used SellYourMac and BuyBackWorld before. Both great. In this case, I am going with BuyBackWorld because they had the best offer and the only company that gives you till November 30th to return your iPhone. The other companies you only have under 30 days from now.

EDIT: If you email SellYourMac and ask for a November 30th sell extension they will honor it. I went with SellYourMac as I found their service to be absolutely excellent. I just sold my Apple Watch 5 to them in the last month and got paid very quickly.

Checking on my iPhone 8+, their prices are terrible, worse even than Gazelle and much worse than Apple.

Apple has about the best trade-in values, at least for slightly older for iPhones, in my checking.

But other options are discussed here

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Checking on my iPhone 8+, their prices are terrible, worse even than Gazelle and much worse than Apple.

Apple has about the best trade-in values, at least for slightly older for iPhones, in my checking.

But other options are discussed here

Yeah, the prices are terrible as your trade-in value drastically drops the older your phone gets.

That's why I always trade in my Apple products every year to get maximum value.

If you are trading in the latest model you are going to get the values I discussed above.

And Apple is only giving up to $500 for the iPhone 11 Pro Max while the other companies are giving $150 more than that. However, those offers drop as the demand to sell grows.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron you really should get on the yearly plan rather than playing these games.

Still sitting here deciding whether to go into the upgrade program or not.

Sam is correct that I won't have to deal with selling my phone online every year. The upgrade process is definitely easier.

There are some things I am not particularly happy about...

One, I am being forced into Apple Care. That's extra money in the monthly rate. I take good care of my iPhones, put them in leather folio cases, so even when they drop they don't break. Outside of that risk, I don't ever foresee a repair issue with an iPhone I purchase -- especially one I am trading in every year.

Two, I can actually do a payment plan with the phone carrier (Verizon in my case) for less money as they don't force Apple Care on you. The thing I don't like about going that route is having the monthly charges put on my phone bill. I like to keep my utilities and hardware bills separate.

And because my math skills are so bad, it's difficult to figure out whether I am getting a better deal in the upgrade program vs. buying the phone outright and selling it each year before I upgrade. This website did an excellent job of laying it all out in an easy-to-understand format

For the moment, I am still thinking of buying the phone outright every year and then selling it for 47% of its original cost towards a new phone.

Yes, it's more work and more hassle but I'm actually saving money with not being forced into Apple Care.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I wouldn't make the same choices you are but I see your PoV.

I understand your frustrations about Apple Care. For the vast majority of people it's an excellent idea tho.

One note: You're also forgetting the cost of money. That alone would tip me over to the Yearly Plan (or verizons!)...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I wouldn't make the same choices you are but I see your PoV.

I understand your frustrations about Apple Care. For the vast majority of people it's an excellent idea tho.

One note: You're also forgetting the cost of money. That alone would tip me over to the Yearly Plan (or verizons!)...

I should have mentioned, however, that anything I put on my charge card I pay off immediately.

So, there should be no cost of money for me there in this case -- that is unless I am missing something.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I should have mentioned, however, that anything I put on my charge card I pay off immediately.

So, there should be no cost of money for me there in this case -- that is unless I am missing something.

That's not how it works. You have still tied up $1100 or so for 11.9 months. That money could be used elsewhere, whether in a market or otherwise.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That's not how it works. You have still tied up $1100 or so for 11.9 months. That money could be used elsewhere, whether in a market or otherwise.

Okay. You are going to have to explain this to me. I am very interested in how I can save money when one of my choices is paying off the phone immediately and without the added cost of Apple Care.

I did learn that I can make the iPhone Upgrade Program a little more worth the extra money I am spending for Apple Care.

In the IUP, Apple is actually giving you 50% for your old iPhone as a trade-in each year. When I sell it online I am only getting about 47%. Not a big difference there, but it's a start.

THEN, if I set up my IUP account to bill my Apple Card for monthly payments (which I learned you can do), I am earning 3% back on the purchase.

Again, my math is usually very fuzzy so I still don't know if I am making out better going into the upgrade program and spending extra money for Apple Care or just buying the phone outright and getting 47% back each year.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Let’s say you you have $1000 in the bank.

If you spend $1000 you no longer have $1000 in the bank to spend on other things

if you finance a $1000 purchase you will pay an interest cost each month but you still have $1000 in the bank for other things. You could even have that money working for you, as investments or other business opportunities. Your monthly charges will chip away at that $1000 and could potentially cost you more thank $1000 at the end. But If you are wise you can use opportunities to offset that and have cash left over at the end instead

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam,

I appreciate the explanation.

Really, that's too much of a thought process for me. I have the money. Don't need it for anything else. I plan to pay the iPhone off immediately rather than have to pay more on interest just so I have money for other things.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i seemed to recall you've posted about this in you previous generations as well am i right? hahaha >P

anyways. have you thought about selling it direct to another user even on HTF? i'm sure there there is more than 1 apple user on this forum and you are already reputable >P

for example, my wife and i are upgrading to iphone 11 pro, but the pro max is too large physically for us, so we're not interested in that one.

but for a fair price $600-800 appears to be the happy range for the any of the iphone 11 pro or prox max at 512GB sizes it seems like you can get it for that easily vs. selling to used stores.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
i seemed to recall you've posted about this in you previous generations as well am i right? hahaha >P

anyways. have you thought about selling it direct to another user even on HTF? i'm sure there there is more than 1 apple user on this forum and you are already reputable >P

for example, my wife and i are upgrading to iphone 11 pro, but the pro max is too large physically for us, so we're not interested in that one.

but for a fair price $600-800 appears to be the happy range for the any of the iphone 11 pro or prox max at 512GB sizes it seems like you can get it for that easily vs. selling to used stores.

Yeah, I am sure I posted about this before as every year I go through the same decision process.

I don't want to do any private sales. That's a frustrating process I'd rather avoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks