screen burn

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Michael_Victor, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Michael_Victor

Michael_Victor Stunt Coordinator

I have a TV that has screen burn from the local news logo on the right hand side. I am extremely pissed because news really only lasts for 30 minutes!!! We decided to sell both HDTVs and buy others but which ones are not susceptible to screen burn? I was told LCD would be my best bet but I am not certain with this option. I almost feel like complaining to the local channel. I only see it when the screen is totally white so I didn’t notice until I was watching Fargo.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

LCD / LCOS would be the best bet to avoid burn in.

Plasma sets need to be rotated in their material to avoid this. They have better contrast ratio ... but then everything always comes at a cost somewhere.

regards

3. Michael_Victor

One thing I noticed is that LCD's aren't made that large. I have a 65 that I am "used" to. I noticed that Mitsu makes a DLP at 73. Is this not recommended? Thanks in advance.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

WAs thinking in terms of flat screen stuff sorry.

DLP is also immune to burn in ... and has better contrast ratios than LCD. But may have rainbows depending on how your eyes see things.

Each tech has its own list of good and bad ...nothing perfect for every single situation.

regards

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

You should write a letter to the station.

Is there another station that has news at the same time?

You could start a scare story around town that "this channel will ruin your TV" and the station will quickly tone down the logo since a drop in viewership is the last thing a station wants.

Video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Your contrast was probably set too high. If you never adjusted the contrast since you bought the TV, chances are that the contrast is too high. Without test equipment, the general rule is that screen burn is a danger when the contrast is more than halfway up for direct view (CRT and plasma) and more than a third of the way up for CRT projection (front or rear).

6. Michael_Victor

You know, I was thinking of doing that just to help fund my next hdtv. I didn’t think I would get anything but at least to tone down the icon. I would much prefer it to be like the predator, clear but still visible.