What's new
World Wide Stereo

Scientific Atlanta 8300HD Output (1 Viewer)

adauria

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew D'Auria
Hi guys,

Just got my 1080p LCD TV yesterday. Today TW Cable came out to give me my new cable box / DVR - The SciATL 8300 HD or something like that. I gave them an HDMI cable, thinking this was the best option and was easy. However, within the settings menu of the cable box it seems that you are limited to 480i output when using HDMI or DVI connections. If you go component (which I had them do), then you can select 1080i (or 720p, etc.).

Does anyone know if it is really the case that I can't get better than 480i when using HDMI with this cable box? Seems real strange... I wonder if I am getting something better even though the box claims it can't go higher (like if that function becomes moot when using HDMI).

Anyone know? Thanks!!

-Andrew

728x90

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
That does seem odd. I'm currently using component with my 8300HD, so I'll be interested in finding out how this turns out. I always assumed that HDMI would do 1080i.

Brent_S

Second Unit
With my TWC based 8300HD DVR box, I can select all output resolutions for component or HDMI. What you're really doing in the config menu is telling the 8300 how to process the incoming signal, be it 480i/720p/1080i. I recommend selecting all output resolutions and letting your TV do the necessary scaling...when you select all, the native signal resolution will just pass through the 8300 untouched.

With my 720p set, I first tried letting the 8300 convert everything to 720p, but found the TV's scaler did a better job, YMMV.

-Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks