Schrader's Exorcist screens?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Will K, May 15, 2005.

1. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I know this is supposed to open 5/20 on 110 screens, but I've found locating these playdates to be quite a daunting task. Movietickets.com and Fandango both have these films on their site, both even a search with something obvious as L.A. turns up nothing.

Not surprisingly, there's not a shred of info on Warner Bros.com, either.

I guess I shouldn't place any bets on this film playing here in North/South Carolina!

2. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I think the release date has been pushed back. I've seen no recent signs of it opening around LA.

~T

3. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Today's LA Times has it still scheduled for opening this Friday, but there isn't a movie ad when there almost always is for a movie opening during the week. I guess WB couldn't find a way to market it.

~T

4. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Well, if they did want to just dump it in a few theaters, putting out in super-limited release on the same weekend Revenge of the Sith opens would have been the ultimate way to do just that. :p)

Usually, I hate delays, but as this one has already been delayed quite a bit, I guess a few more weeks can't hurt too much. I do hope it plays theatrically eventually, though.

5. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Schrader said he found "The Beginning" so bad that he left the theater smiling because he thought "Dominion" might have a chance at being released.

"From the time I left that screening, I began a long campaign to come to this day," Schrader said.

He has spent his own money on promotion and publicity, called in favors to finish music scoring and editing, and even received some money to finish "Dominion" from Morgan Creek.

Schrader said the production company decided the movie might be able to recapture some of its original investment, principally due to DVD sales.

"Thankfully, greed has won," Schrader said with a laugh.

Schrader exorcises Hollywood demon with 'Dominion'

6. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

This is really frustrating. As much as I look forward to that space movie thing that opens Friday, I am anxious to see this film as well. Because there is a lot of soreness at Warner Brothers and Morgan Creek over this movie, I think it's obvious they're trying to make the theatrical release as brief and quiet as possible before it goes to the DVD racks. It's rather unfair to intelligent moviegoers who were unsatisfied with the commercialized Renny Harlin version.

But alas, whoever said the movie business was fair?

7. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    The movie is opening in limited release in just a few cities this Friday, and will go wider briefly after that.

8. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Tell me about it. SC is not a good place at all to see hard-to-find movies, although I did see that the German film Der Untergang was playing in Charlotte. That actually surprised me. Occasionally, we may get a weekend run of a foreign flick. I saw Jeunet's A Very Long Engagement in Greenville, SC a month or so ago.

9. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Well the studio has to do what they can to minimize its chances. Can you imagine the embarassment if this film outgrossed "Exorcist: The Beginning"?

11. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Has anyone heard anything else about if this actually opens this weekend?

12. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

It's open, but a quick visit to movietickets.com shows it's in NY, LA, Atlanta, and Dallas, to name a few.

13. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

The story of these two versions of the same film is a microcosm of the entire film business. The flashy, stupid film gets supported initially, but the good film is the one that comes out ahead in the end and lasts a long time.

14. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Having seen this last weekend, let me say this:

Where the Harlin version was way over the top, the Schrader version was somewhat bland...

If the 2 were put into a blender and mixed... you might have a good picture in there somewhere.

Dugger