What's new

Schindler's List announcement soon. (1 Viewer)

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
If true I am very glad that the film will be spread across two discs. The benefit of increased picture quality and possibly better sound makes the idea appealing to me. However, Rain does have a point that in this day and age it would be nice to have the option to watch the film without interruption. We are talking about Universal so maybe we will get a DTS version, A DD version, a DTS and DD together version, plus all those in widescreen and pan scan options. We know how they think over there so who knows(lol).

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
It might work if they released the DTS and DD versions separately, like they did with Saving Private Ryan, no?

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
If this proves to be true then it looks like all the Spielberg films will be out this year...well except Duel because who knows when that's coming out. If they scrunched the film onto one disc with the commentaries( if they're present) then the presentation would be terrible, there'd be pixelization compression and more. Two discs is the best way to go, it's not that bad to get up and change the disc is it?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
If this announcement is true, I'd be very happy. But time and time again, you learn not to get your hopes up.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
If this proves to be true then it looks like all the Spielberg films will be out this year...well except Duel because who knows when that's coming out.
Not quite, there is also The Sugarland Express. For Spielberg completists there is also Twilight Zone: The Movie and a couple of shorts Amblin' & The Unfinished Journey which would be greatly appreciated on DVD.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Man, so many of you dismiss Marcin's info because of a possible commentary? I think as someone mentioned,if he ever does a commentary on any dvd this would be it. Im not completely sold myself,but I can see there being a possibility....Heres hoping...

Luis S

Tim RH

Second Unit
This DVD will almost definately come with a DTS track, so I have no quibbles with it being spread over 2 discs, to maximize quality (even if there isn't an intermission). Of course, Spielberg just might do a new cut of the film with deleted footage and add a new intermission too.

Seth_S

Second Unit

I remember there being an intermission when I saw it in theaters. I agree though that we should have the option to watch it straight through without interruption.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I remember there being an intermission when I saw it in theaters.
Interesting. I'm almost positive there wasn't one.

If I'm wrong, though, that makes the 2 disc situation a little better to me. I don't mind an intermission if it is an inherent part of the film.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Ok, let me try this for the third time:

[rant]THEY COULD DO SEPARATE DTS AND DD VERSIONS LIKE THEY DID WITH SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.[/rant]

Seth_S

Second Unit
Rain,

A 3hr 17min movie, DTS track, Dolby stereo track, and 2 commentaries would probably still be very tight for a single disc.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
if it has DTS, DD 5.1, DD 2.0 (French), and two audio commentary tracks, don't you think it would be wise to spread it across 2-Discs?
If putting so much on the disc would require spreading it across two discs, then some of those features become redundant or unnecessary. Preserving the movie as originally shown in theaters, without a break, is more important than having DTS, a French track, or audio commentaries on the disc.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
If you're unhappy about it being spread across two discs because the intermission wasn't intended by the filmmaker, you can rest assured that Spielberg is totally on board for the release of this DVD (whether it happens now or years for now, he takes care of his movies) and if it's released over two discs, it will be with his approval. Of course, he also releases fullscreen versions of his movies :P

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
A 3hr 17min movie, DTS track, Dolby stereo track, and 2 commentaries would probably still be very tight for a single disc.
And that would be the problem for those of you who would be buying the DTS version.

I wouldn't be.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Does Universl do seperate DD/DTS versions? I thought only Dreamworks did that. Anyway, Pearl Harbor and FotR EE were both movies that had no intermission originally, that were split over two discs. In both cases the disc break was well considered, and Schindler's List even has a spot already picked out, where the break between the two VHS tapes is. And yes, I'm aware that FotR and Pearl Harbor both had DTS, but don't forget the commentaries also. And that black and white video counterintuitively requires a higher bit-rate to look good then color.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I'd prefer the movie being on one disc, but with such a long movie, I'm ok with that.

But I'd just like to say I'm happy I don't have to watch movies with some of you. My idea of preserving the theatrical experience does not include sitting in an uncomfortable seat with sticky floors, dying of thirst because I had too much popcorn, crossing my legs because I have to pee after downing my extra-large Coke while giving the film 70% of my attention because I'm distracted by all of the above. Having to switch discs does not ruin things for me at all. I enjoy my home theater because I think it's better than a theatrical experience. That includes pausing the movie when needed, rewinding to catch a detail I didn't catch, moving about and stretching out, grabbing a snack, etc.

Anyway, to each their own I guess.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
But I'd just like to say I'm happy I don't have to watch movies with some of you. My idea of preserving the theatrical experience does not include sitting in an uncomfortable seat with sticky floors, dying of thirst because I had too much popcorn, crossing my legs because I have to pee after downing my extra-large Coke while giving the film 70% of my attention because I'm distracted by all of the above. Having to switch discs does not ruin things for me at all. I enjoy my home theater because I think it's better than a theatrical experience. That includes pausing the movie when needed, rewinding to catch a detail I didn't catch, moving about and stretching out, grabbing a snack, etc.
None of this stuff is ever a problem for me. I pace myself on how much I drink (I have a very small bladder :D) so I never get the jitters before the movie is over. I've never been to a theater with seats that were so bad they distracted from movie, and I can't remember the last time I had an encounter with a mess on the floor.

In my opinion, movies aren't meant to be hyperanalyzed and stepped through on the initial viewing. In the theater, the movie doesn't stop, it can't stop, it sweeps you up in the experience and pausing or rewinding would totally ruin the moment.

I don't mean this in a harsh way, but a lot of people on these boards strike me as having rather whiny attitudes. Nobody's ever guaranteed the theater experience would be perfect, but I find it hard to believe that every theater but the ones around where I live are so horrible that you would never want to visit a theater again. Mountains out of molehills, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks