What's new

SCD-C555ES config/setup questions (1 Viewer)

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I just got my Sony SCD-C555ES the other day (anybody wanna buy my Marantz CC-4000 for cheap? :D) and have a few setup questions:
1. The player keeps on defaulting back to multi-channel whenever it loads a multi-channel SACD eventhough I press the 2-channel button to put it in 2-channel mode. On my DVP-NC650V once I put it in 2-channel SACD mode it knows to always default to that even if the disc in question has multi-channel on it. Is this normal behavior? Is there a way to change it?
2. The sound levels for multi-channel (left and right only, because I only have those 2 channels hooked up) are noticably louder than on 2-channel. Is this normal?
3. Is there a way to dim the display panel without turning it off? My NC650 does it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Yohan, if you have the player set to default to multi-channel playback, load a multi-channel SACD and manually select the stereo track, and then load another multi-channel SACD, the player will read the multi-channel track first. To set the player to default to stereo, do the following:

1) Press the 'MENU' button until you come to the 'M/2CH SELECT' option.

2) Press the AMS knob, which will show the current setting flashing. Turn the AMS knob to toggle between the multi-channel and two-channel settings. With the display showing two-channel, press the AMS knob.

That's it! Likewise, you can set the 'C555ES to default to the SACD layer on a hybrid disc by using the 'LAYER SELECT' feature. You can access this feature in the same way as the 'M/2CH SELECT' option. These features are explained in the owner's manual.

I have not used the front left and right jacks of the 5.1-channel outputs for stereo playback, so I can't comment on the relative output.

Finally, you cannot dim the display on the 'C555ES. You can only have it on or off.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I own the Sony CE775 and I also have a question.

Does everyone when listening to a 2 channel SACD use the 2 channel cd ouputs or use the EXT.IN multi-channel output when a stereo recording is on.

My Denon 3300 reciever can be put in multi-ch mode (Ext.In) or direct cd mode. I get stereo out of both modes but there is a slight difference in sound.

It seems when I listen to a multi-channel sacd, the multi mode is a no-brainer, simple and effective. But there seems to be 2 ways to listen to a stereo sacd. You can use either the multi 6 ch analog or use the 2 ch analog.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Thanks, KeithH! Always ready to provide helpful info for SACD newbies. As they say in the computer nerd community: RTFM! :b I'll try your tips later when I get home.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Yohan,
No problem. Glad to help. Just note that I am an SACD oldbie, and there is a lot that I have yet to learn. :)
John,
I use the stereo analog outputs on my 'C555ES changers for playback of CDs and stereo SACDs. One 'C555ES is in a stereo system and is connected to a stereo integrated amp. Obviously, I don't use this player for multi-channel SACD. The other 'C555ES is in a room where I have both my main stereo and home-theater systems. For this player, I run the stereo analog outputs to a stereo integrated amp for playback of CDs and stereo SACDs and the 5.1-channel outputs to my home-theater receiver for playback of multi-channel SACDs.
As long as your receiver offers analog bypass on the stereo analog inputs and 5.1-channel inputs, you should be able to use either set of outputs on your player for stereo playback. Most receivers offer analog bypass on the 5.1-channel inputs by default, but you have to set it manually for the stereo analog inputs. I'm not sure why the sound should be any different when using the stereo analog inputs or 5.1-channel inputs on your receiver if the analog bypass mode is engaged. Perhaps your receiver does not utilize the same quality circuitry for the stereo analog inputs and 5.1-channel inputs. Or, maybe the quality of the analog output stages for the stereo analog outputs and 5.1-channel outputs is not the same on the 'CE775. I assume you are using the same cables when comparing the two outputs.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Yep, I use the same type of cables. I just notice a difference in sound when I use the 2 channel input for Stereo SACD's compared to using the Multi-Ch inputs.

I do think that in 2 channel Stereo mode, using the 2 ch inputs does sound better (tighter, a bit more bass).

Thanks!
JohnG

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, interesting. Perhaps there is better isolation from interference in the stereo analog output stage than the 5.1-channel analog output stage. I am just guessing. The person to ask would be Matthew Anker. He has torn apart many a 'CE775. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks