What's new

Saw the Philips LCOS, still can't tell which one is best... (1 Viewer)

James White

Auditioning
I just went to HiFi Buy’s (Tweeter) and saw the new Philips LCOS, model 55PL9773, and the Samsung 56’s DLP, model HLN567W. I have been waiting some time for the LCOS to come out as I was torn as to which set to buy. Like many have commented on the forums I have been bouncing around between the Samsung and the Sony Grand Wega, model KF-50WE610. Reading the forums it sounded like most folks were leaning toward the Samsung but I thought the Sony gave a better picture, at least in the setups I have seen. Anyway, reading everything being said in the forums I was expecting to be blown away by the LCOS. Overall I felt that the picture on the Philips was not as sharp as the Samsung’s. I felt the colors were also muted on the Philips and overall the Samsung produced crisper more vibrant tone/colors. The Philips did seem to have a much larger viewing angle. I think the separation between the two is very small and either one would be a winner--but then again I'm looking for the best! Given the recent troubles/delays with the Philips I wonder if I should steer clear until all the bugs are worked out; any opinions on this?

To tell the truth, I had been disappointed in the 50 inch Samsung DLP, model HLM507W, as compared to the 43 inch, model HLM437W. The picture on the larger Samsung looked like it was not as sharp (focus wise) as compared to the smaller one and I had compared them at multiple stores as I felt it might have been a matter of setup. The Samsung I saw today was the 56 inch model HLN567W and it looked nicer then the HLM507W by a good bit. I had read on some forum that the 56 inch model was not going to be sold here in the USA. Anyone know the differences between these two Samsung DLP’s? The comparison chart on the Samsung USA website is not much help. While I was at the store the sales man said they had the 61 inch Samsung in also, I’m guessing the HLM617W, and he could get it out by this Sunday if I wanted to see it.

Anyone seen the bigger 61 inch Samsung? Any comments on it compared to the smaller Samsung or the Philips? Let me know as I would like a nice big Christmas gift to myself!

Also, anyone with any comments on the 60 inch Grand Wega XBR, model KDF-60XBR950 or the RCA Scenium HDLP61W151? I haven’t been able to view that set yet either?

To many models to choose from... making the decision is driving me crazy!

Thanks for any help I might get.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I believe all of the sams are identical internally. The bigger you go the more the light has to stretch so you may find the larger sets a little darker. Unfortunately I haven't been able to see a 56 or 61 yet so I can't confirm.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I'd shy away fron the Lcos set at the present time. My local Tweeter store has had two that died an early death....but at least they hadn't sold them yet so that's good fortune for somebody.

Mort

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Have you ever considered front projection? you'd be amazed at how much it blows away my 55" mitsu...no contest and at 104" to boot!

James White

Auditioning
Unfortunately I can't go front projection due to my space. If I want big I have to go with RP for now.

As far as the LCOS being twitchy, yea that is a major concern for me too. The first units shipped had a software problem that affected the purples. I have not heard of any more problems since that was addressed. But again your point is that without testing them for some time their reliability will be a big question… at least based on their launch.

As far as the sammy's are concerned, I am not sure you're right on that. I think there are some differences between the sets. I have read on 2 other forums that there are some chip differences between the 56" and the 50". But again, you have to take into account that I am getting my info from forums. I can tell you that one of the posters seemed to really know what he was talking about and said that he was a seller of upper end TV's and that he had based a lot of his info on his contact with Samsung home/Tech office.

Arvin_C

Agent
Hello. Like you, I just veiwed the Philips LcOS and Samsung DLP at my local Tweeter yesterday. I initially went there looking to see how good the LcOS set was after reading so much about it in different reviews. However, I came away somewhat disappointed. Not that the LcOS looked bad, that it was not appreciably "better" than the DLP. To me, the DLP had that bright, super-sharp picture that I love. However, while the LcOS was just as sharp, it just wasn't as vibrant. The LcOS did do a better job with whites, I thought. The whites on the DLP seemed to have a slight red to them, where the LcOS was much more neutral.

After assuring me that both sets were calibrated properly, the salesman told me that he did not consider LcOS to be "perfected" as yet. He also said that in terms of viewing performance, he considered LcOS to be very much along the lines of CRT-based rear-projection displays in that they tend to perform better as the room gets darker. For me, DLP's ability to perform well in most light conditions is one of its biggest pluses.

I am a big fan of DLP and currently list the Samsung HLN437W at the top of my want list. As far as for the LcOS, perhaps more maturing is needed. The technology seems very sound and promising, though.

Just my thoughts.

Arvin_C

Some models have the Faroudja chip and others don`t. The HLN567W has the chip. The 61 also has the chip. There are 2 50" models...one has the chip the other doesnt.

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
If your a Videophile, then LCOS is the way to go; as it puts out a more natural but soft image (not sharp). I had the 55" LCOS when it first came out. I also had a couple of "Software" issues, that left purple splashes on the display. Ultimatlly went FP with the Sanyo Z2....Less than half the price and more than double the display size. Plus I like the more sharper image.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks