What's new

Safety Not Guaranteed (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
At the pitch meeting for an alternative magazine, nobody seems to have any ideas. Then one of the reporters throws out the idea of profiling the man responsible for a wacky classified ad:
WANTED: Someone to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box 91, Ocean View, WA 98644. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. I have only done this once before. SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED.
He brings with him two introverted and unsociable interns, before quickly revealing he only pitched the story to pursue a childhood crush living in the area. The girl intern, Darius, tracks down the owner of the PO box, Kenneth, and inserts herself into his life.
Kenneth is different. Not mentally handicapped, not insane, but different. But Darius isn't exactly normal herself. As she shadows him, building up trust and fleshing out her profile, their relationships brings to light unexpected things about both of them.
Meanwhile Kenneth's paranoia grows. He's convinced that he's being watched by powerful interests. He's not wrong.
By the end of the film, you'll have a pretty good idea whether Kenneth's ad is for real. But by then you'll realize it's not about the ad anymore.
The film is not fast-paced, or aggressively shot. There's a casualness to the shooting style that eases us into Kenneth's world without feeling like voyeurs. The four main characters are all broken people. They finish the film less cynical and pessimistic than they began.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is it in limited release? I'd like to see it, but i didn't even realize it was out. Nit showing at the Megaplex. I'm not sure if I have an indie theater here.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just saw this. At first I wanted to say, a nice little movie. Then I thought I wasn't really satisfied and there are many plot holes. At the end, things do not add up or mean anything in a coherent way. I think it's very similar to "The Book of Henry" in tone and everything else. They didn't need "The Book of Henry", there is already red flags all over this!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks