What's new

S Video Hook Up Help!!! (1 Viewer)

jason_ayls

Auditioning
I am new to this and need some help! I have a Toshiba 32" Flatscreen TV and would like to hook it up to my DVD player via S Video. Is S video the best bet for the highest picture quality? Also, could I use Digital Optical Cables with my DVD player along with the S Video(or will S Video be all I need?) or is Digital Optical just for receivers? Any help and sugestions will be greatly appreciated!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jason, if it's an analog set S-video is all you need for video. If it's a digital set, HD monitor, use the three line component video cables.

The optical cable is to carry Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM to a reciever. If you have no reciever just use a stereo pair to the TV's audio input.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If I was you I would hook up the DVD Player using the "Component Video Inputs" because the picture will be a little better than using the S-Video Input. Component Video Inputs work on Regular TV signals (Analog) or HD signals (But for HD Signals your Toshiba would have to be an HDTV Set). The Optical Audio Output is only for a Receiver that has an Optical Audio Input. If your not using a Receiver just hook the Red & White Audio Outputs on your DVD Player to the Toshiba's Red & White Audio Inputs. If you don't have Component Video Cables but you have an S-Video cable just use that for now until you can get Component Video Cables. But if your happy with the S-Video picture then just forget about the Component Cables.

VIDEO INPUT PICTURE QUALITY:
COMPOSITE VIDEO: (Yellow Jack) GOOD
S- VIDEO: BETTER (On some sets it can rival Component)
COMPONENT VIDEO: BEST

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks