What's new

S-video direct from DVD to TV? (1 Viewer)

Scott Miller

Agent
May be a silly question, but what's the purpose of sending the video signal from your DVD player through the receiver then on to the TV? Why not send it straight to the TV? The reason I ask is that I know that S-vid is better than composite. My receiver doesn't have any S-vid i/o's, but my TV has an input. Thanks!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Greg Foan

Stunt Coordinator
If your HT receiver doesn't have S-video switching capability then set it up as you have and switch between inputs on the TV. I have S-video switching with my receiver and it's a big hit with my wife who finds simplicity of operation to be of the utmost importance.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Scott, folks run it through their receiver if their TV only has one S-video input and the have more than one s-video sources; eg, a playstation, DVD player, and S-VHS VCR.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i find it easier to change everything from the receiver then have to change the audio at the receiver, then go to the tv to change the video.
however, i'm just running composite cabling. if i go to s-vid or component, i'll have to see if there is any signal degredation by going through the receiver.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
i find it easier to change everything from the receiver then have to change the audio at the receiver, then go to the tv to change the video.
That's what macros are for...
biggrin.gif

------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Marc H

Second Unit
Anybody else find the picture is a bit better going direct to the TV? I find it's better than going through the receiver.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I'd say it depends on the quality and build of the receiver. I've never noticed a difference.
I always used to shy away from using the reicevers switching until I got multiple s-video components. I reluctantly switch over to using the reciever and found that there was no difference.
Oh well!

Scott Miller

Agent
My receiver remote changes everything for the TV. So I don't see the need to go through the receiver. Thanks for everyone's input!

Vin

Supporting Actor
I use my receiver's S-video switching capabilites and don't notice any picture degradation when compared to the direct to TV hook-up.
I find the convenience of not having to switch video inputs at the TV (in addition to switching audio from the receiver) to be a real Godsend....all this button pushing can be quite exhausting you know!
wink.gif

------------------

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
I'd try and connect the DVD player directly to the TV anyway. Receivers add one more step for the signal to travel through. It defintately doesn't help the image. However, you may not notice a difference - especially with S-video/composite.
-Ryan Dinan
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks