What's new

S-video cable help....please.... (1 Viewer)

RoyB

Grip
I have an entry level HT set-up (31" TV) and just bought a DVD player. Will I notice a difference between the expensive Monster S video cables and the much cheaper RCA cables? What about mid-costing versions like Acoustics Research and Radio Shack?

Thanks for the help...I'm just looking not to waste precious $$$$$$.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
side note: you don't necessarily have to buy the expensive monster stuff. AR and radio-shack work well too and they're one-third the cost.

mostly everyone says that you'll see an improvement using s-video cable.

but...

when i did my test i didn't see much improvment. i even checked for moire, etc. when i asked about this they said maybe i've got a decent comb filter in my 32" sony tv. also, the impact may not be as dramatic with a smaller tv.

in any case, i recommend you run the video signal both ways and see if you see a difference.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
You should notice a big improvement going from composite to S-video cables. On a 31" Tv (Proton) it was a dramatic improvement.

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Roy, larger improvements may come with coax make-up, more than brand. Silver is known to be best for video applications, silver coated is nearly as good as solid silver, because electrons traveling at a high rate of speed tend to travel on the surface...

You don't necessarily have to break the bank to get silver performance.

Lex

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
For that sized television, the AR brand (sold at Best Buy) or even Radio Shack will not look much different than the expensive Monster brand.

When you get about 50" or above, long runs or pushing HD signals, then you should consider buying more expensive cables. (And I would stear you to production-studio grade stuff that is cheaper than Monster).

Mark Rich

Second Unit
DougW

Silver is known to be best for video applications,
Known by whom?? Apart from the companies that sell silver based cables that is? Do you have the test results so you can share them with us? How about some specs so they can be compared against copper cables?

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Mark and Doug. Lets not get started on this again. :)
Video cables are generally regarded as cables that you can most easily tell the difference in. Component>S-Video>Composite. This is pretty much proven. However the quality of the cable itself and the associated equipment can cancel out some of the visible difference. In most consumer cables you see, it really isn't what is in the cable that makes a difference but the shielding and the connectors. In terms of the makeup of the consumer cables themselves, cable is essentially cable... there's not too much difference between them. The main difference (as well as what you're paying for) is the shielding and the connectors.
As for the copper vs silver debate. I do believe silver is the better of the two. However we're talking about theoretically here. Theoretically, if you're using the best of everything (sheilding, connectors etc.) to make the best S-Video cable possible, going with silver will probably yield a slight increase in performance. However we're talking about having high end everything here. It takes a lot for silver to be better than copper. It's not a matter of putting in silver and the cable being better. With most of our tv sets and dvd players/dvds having all sorts of edge enhancement, most silver cables will actually give you a a nasty edge. The debate is due to a matter of preference. Yes silver does let more detail through but do you want that detail? You have to be really careful in buying silver cables. Most silver cables lack sufficient amounts of shielding which is very important if you live in a place with a lot of signal noise.
Nordost S-Video Optix is generally regarded as the best cable and they silver plate their cables. However there is a lot of research and technology involved in the making of that cable.
In answering to the original post, I believe you can't go wrong with the AR-S-Video cables. They are a good value and an improvement over your regular RCAs. Since you're thinking about it I see no reason why you wouldn't upgrade your cables with them being so cheap. However there are a lot of things better. You'll only waste your money if you don't use it.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Howard,

You have made some very good points.

Yes, I agree that with the type of video cable composite, s-video and component the improvements are noticeable and accepted.

No problem with you stating that you believe that silver is better. That is your opinion and its valid. However it is not a 'known' fact that silver is better than copper. Stating so would indicate they have been tested and proven better by some impartial group. A lot of people prefer silver over copper but then a there are also a lot of people who would argue the opposite. Its a preferance. That was simply my point.

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Nice post Howard.

Mark, since you think my statement was to all encompassing, I will further qualify by saying Known "by many", of whom, I am one.

I think Howard said it very well and I have no further comment on the subject except to say, if I speak, you challenge, it's getting a little old for everyone I think-

Lex

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Mark. I usually avoid making any definite comments so that no one can challenge it haahaa. As stated, I'm not sure if it's proven but I do believe it's better IF and that's a big IF everything is of the highest quality. As I said I think it is pretty much a consensus that silver does let more detail through but whether you like that or not is another issue since by letting more detail through, sound can be too harsh or bright. And in terms of video, the picture may be too sharp and too edgy.

With that in mind. Why don't you tell us what monitor you have Roy and your DVD player and then we can furthur help you. Given a choice I would probably buy silver, but in all likelihood it may not be the best option since my monitor is known for edge enhancement. I think it's best to take it cable by cable. But whatever the choice make sure it's 75ohm.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
DougW

I believe my point and challenge on your comment was justified. Nothing personal I would have said it about anyone making that statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks