What's new

Rules of the Game, Tokyo Story (1 Viewer)

Rod

Agent
Among the Sight & Sound critic's poll of the top 5 movies of all time - right next to Citizen Kane, Vertigo and The Godfather - are two films that most people have never heard of ... Rules of the Game and Tokyo Story. Thankfully both are now available on DVD from Criterion.

These are two masterpieces of the cinema and scarcely a word has been written about them since their release.

Rules of the Game by Jean Renoir is a witty farce about pre-WW II French aristocracy and the last vestiges of a social order whose time has passed. When it was released in 1939 it was greeted with outrage and scathing criticism from the French elite. It was immediately re-edited in order to restore the peace and it was not until two decades later that the film was reconstructed with Renoir's approval (but strangely without his participation). The DVD release last week offers the first chance for many film lovers to see this great work in more than 40 years. If you liked Gosford Park, you'll love this.

Tokyo Story by Ozu is about an elderly couple who realize that their grown children no longer have time for them. This is a brilliant film that stays with you long after you view it as a gentle reminder to not take too much for granted when it comes to your family. It may make you want to pick up the phone and call your mom and dad.

Criterion has given both films the deluxe treatment with an abundance of extra features including commentary, documentaries and scene analysis.

These are not just your run-of-the-mill foreign films. In the eyes of many critics, they are on the short list of the greatest films ever made. Don't miss the chance to experience them.

-Rod

WillardK

Second Unit
I won't get involved in a greatest film debate, but Rules of the Game is one of my very favorites. I'm looking forward to watching the copy I received yesterday. Previously I've only seen murky prints with worn out subs, so I'm excited. Nice packaging on this one.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I've been wanting to see Rules of the Game for quite a while, having seen Renoir's other acclaimed masterpiece Grand Illusion.

I like Tokyo Story, but I'm personally not sold on it being one of the greatest films of all time.

Dan_Jones_

Auditioning
I'm just about to watch Rules of The Game on VHS this evening actually. Is the Criterion DVD region 1 or region 0? (most of their discs are region 0 I think).

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks