What's new

Roku More Popular Than Apple TV (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Parks Associates has just released a report where Roku is more popular than Apple TV. While the Apple TV has increased in popularity over the last several years, it falls short of competing product Roku. A survey of 10,000 U.S. broadband households revealed that 37% used a Roku device while 24% used an Apple TV, making Roku the most used streaming set-top box in the U.S. I have two Apple TV's but rarely use them. I'm using one right now so that my wife can use AirPlay to use the HDTV in the master bedroom. She uses the Viki app on her iPad to stream to the HDTV.

An interesting tidbit is that Parks Associates predicts that worldwide connected TV device sales will double to reach 330 million annually by 2017, with annual sales revenue increasing almost 100%.

How many own either an Apple TV or a Roku?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I have three Roku machines. One in the living room, my bedroom and the kid's bedroom, which is just a blessing considering how many DVDs he broke or messed up to the point where they wouldn't play. Just having everyone on one device is great and you can also take it on vacation, which is another major plus. I've also bought one for my mother and another friend.

With my cable bill reaching $150 it's about to be my only source.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
We have 4 Roku boxes and watch most of our TV thru them. Also have Directv with one receiver just for sports and the DVR function for local stations. A couple years ago our Directv bill was running $200 monthly!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We have two Roku devices -- one in the family room main home theater, one in the bedroom -- and no Apple TV. We mainly use it to watch Amazon Prime video streaming. I'd love to get rid of cable, but still use it to watch sports.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
One Apple TV in the living room. If we decide to get a second television for our bedroom, we'll get a second Apple TV.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I had a Roku, but I gave it away and got an AppleTV. I create MP4s for it, add artwork and such, and it's like I have my own On Demand channel through the house. My housemates and I use it all the time. I would need the higher end Roku to play my own files, and at that I'd need to put them on a flash drive and plug them into it EACH time I wanted to change the selection. No remembering where I left off or ability to choose other audio or subtitle options like on the AppleTV, which streams as many movies and TV shows I want from my computer.I only wish Warner Archive's steaming channel was available through AppleTV, but I hear that it's coming.I don't do Hulu+ when all that content is otherwise available online for free if one puts in the effort. I have subscribed to Netflix periodically.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I may get a Roku3 now that I finally joined the streaming world, if barely, via Amazon Prime -- not really considering AppleTV at all. Probably only use it for some TV shows and a rare movie that I have no desire to own (and wouldn't care too much about A/V quality) -- probably finally quitting (Blockbuster's) by-mail disc rentals completely. OR I may just see how far a recent model Panny BD player can take us (to go w/ other devices and PCs).

Interesting idea about bringing the Roku on trips, etc. Hadn't thought of that before...

Our DSL connection is only 3M/768K, so can't expect much anyway... although I seem to only get ~1.4Mbps streaming from Amazon via IE10 on my new PC even though it should have ~2.8Mbps available bandwidth near as I can tell -- nothing else significant is using my network and internet service when I tried. Is that normal?

_Man_

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I own 3 Apple TVs, one each on the main set, the bedroom set, and in my office. If I'm asked, I tell people who are already in the Apple ecosystem, and who have an existing iTunes library, to go with Apple TV, because of the ability to stream your iTunes library, and AirPlay with Macs and iOS devices. Roku is a good choice for non-Apple people.

As for use - I use them every single day. I use them to stream music around the house (they're actually connected to AVRs) with the Remote app on my iPhone. I use them to watch a number of video podcasts I follow (mainly tech-related stuff from Revision 3 and Leo LaPorte's TWiT network). And I increasingly use them for Netflix & Hulu Plus streaming. Example - I'm currently re-watching "The West Wing". I own all 7 seasons on DVD, but I'm not watching those. I'm streaming the series on Netflix. It's much more convenient, and the PQ is at least equivalent to the DVDs, if not better. I'm actually about to start selling off most of my large TV-on-DVD collection, for those shows which are available via streaming. It just doesn't make sense to keep all those discs around any more.

Just one man's experience and opinion. YMMV.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Crawford said:
I own 2 Roku and 1 Apple TV. My usage of either device is sporadic at best.
I now have 2 Roku and Apple TV hooked up and I do use them more than I did beforehand. Mainly for titles, not available on disc.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
In addition to DISH, I have a Roku 2 XS. I use the Roku for Amazon Prime, Warner Archive, Acorn TV and Pandora.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Craig S said:
I own 3 Apple TVs, one each on the main set, the bedroom set, and in my office. If I'm asked, I tell people who are already in the Apple ecosystem, and who have an existing iTunes library, to go with Apple TV, because of the ability to stream your iTunes library, and AirPlay with Macs and iOS devices. Roku is a good choice for non-Apple people. As for use - I use them every single day. I use them to stream music around the house (they're actually connected to AVRs) with the Remote app on my iPhone. I use them to watch a number of video podcasts I follow (mainly tech-related stuff from Revision 3 and Leo LaPorte's TWiT network). And I increasingly use them for Netflix & Hulu Plus streaming. Example - I'm currently re-watching "The West Wing". I own all 7 seasons on DVD, but I'm not watching those. I'm streaming the series on Netflix. It's much more convenient, and the PQ is at least equivalent to the DVDs, if not better. I'm actually about to start selling off most of my large TV-on-DVD collection, for those shows which are available via streaming. It just doesn't make sense to keep all those discs around any more. Just one man's experience and opinion. YMMV.
The problem with selling off your DVD collection is what happens when they stop streaming some of your favourite series that you enjoy, then what? You have sold your shows and cannot watch them at your leasure anymore.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I own 3 Apple TV's and Roku. I use the Apple TV's much more than I do the roku.

mark-edk

Second Unit
I have one of each. The Roku has a composite out which is nice if you want to save something to DVD, and more channels...but its OS is clumsy and inelegant. It seems to want to bounce me out of a channel at the slightest provocation and streaming is not as consistent/solid as what the AppleTV comes up with. So for me one of each is the best of both worlds, but if I had to give one up it'd be the Roku.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have a Roku LT and Roku 2 XS connected and three different Google TV boxes connected but no Apple TV. I much prefer Google TV to either of the others, it does much more and includes a web browser. Roku did just add a WatchESPN channel so I am using Roku more than I had, I like that channel better than using a web browser for ESPN3. The PlayOn server is free for Google TV, at least it was when I installed it, and allows free Hulu throughout the house from a single PC as well as streaming from a few other sites that block Google TV. Roku does find the free Google TV PlayOn server but results in a request to buy a license. I also own a lifetime PlayOn/PlayLater license running on a different PC. PlayLater is a nice paid DVR companion for PlayOn, useful since some Hulu shows or other site shows are only available for a short period and otherwise would be missed.

Google TV combines a lot into one HDMI input all controlled by a single remote and includes useful guides combining internet TV, traditional TV, and local content. The female head of household can make that work far better than any solution that requires switching HDMI inputs on the AVR or TV and jumping around various menus. Google TV does require babying to run but I know how to use and have no problems. It was my first Android device and for whatever reason, if you just turn it on, start using it with multiple apps running, several web pages open, it will crash and that is apparently how most users try to use it. Without managing its limited resources properly, RAM will be cluttered and the CPU overtaxed and it will slow to a standstill.

The female head of household will just choose from Netflix or TiVo or PlayOn or Blu-ray or DVD, everything can be controlled by the same Logitech K700 keyboard through the Sony NSZ-GT1. I also have the newer NSZ-GS7 which doesn't include Blu-ray but adds a couple of things, also controlled by a K700. Some of the more complicated Google TV operations I handle. I just recently set up Plex and have started using that, the Plex client app in the Play Store was $1 total for all Google TV boxes when I bought it a couple of years ago but I never used it until recently, it shows great promise. Roku also has a Plex channel but it isn't as nice as the Google TV version so it isn't used. Neither PC in house is powerful enough to handle Plex and PlayOn simultaneously or two PlayOn or two Plex or two PlayLater files simultaneously but I assume a more powerful PC in the future would negate the need for two.

Without having it set up that way, I am not sure I wouldn't have had to go back to a pay TV subscription. A few boxes cobbled together without easy operation would have been a disaster in my household, I don't like listening to complaints.

I like Apple TV also but not as well as Google TV and Roku so I don't own it. I cut the cord in 2009 after 12 years with DirecTV and before that I was a long time cable TV subscriber. My only complaint is live sports are limited, OTA, ESPN3, PGA.com and a few other sites provide some sports but not quite enough. That shortcoming isn't enough to subscribe to DirecTV again even though I get great offers in the mail every month from the company.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
2 TiVo's. No appleTV or Roku. But I'll tell my sister to get a Roku. She wants to drop cable and just watch her amazon prime on the TV. It seems a Roku is the best option. I don't know how the different models compare, so I'll suggest the 3, to be safe and hopefully have the best experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks