What's new

Roger Corman's (Fall of the) House of Usher...DVD quality? (Also a funny P&S mistake) (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
In my Literature class, we watched Roger Corman's "House of Usher" from 1960....after reading the original Poe story.
The tape was the OLD, OLD 1981 WHV P&S vhs and it looked like...well, shi*.
The color looked like xerox quality and the sound was pitiful. There was even an instance of the P&S artist making a panning mistake. In one scene during Vincent Price's monologue (one of them), the camera starts to pan over to the other side, but quickly turns back. The P&S artist panned too early!
Is the MGM DVD of decent quality? I really hated the VHS and I'd like to see this in the great 2.35:1 format.
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
The reviews have been pretty positive regarding the transfer. Be sure to give Corman's commentary a listen as well. Though I haven't had the pleasure of hearing him discuss this film, I greatly enjoyed the commentary on "X: The Man With The X-Ray Eyes".
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Dan M

Second Unit
I'm very happy with the quality of this disc. Especially considering the cost. It's also 16x9 enhanced.
The commentary track is superb. Corman is very enthusiastic and informative.
------------------

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
It's a good disc but for some unknown reason, MGM used a re-release print for the transfer. This print has the abbreviated "House of Usher" title rather than the full "The Fall of the House of Usher" title that appeared on the original release prints and the Orion laser disc.
They have done the same thing with the new "Count Yorga, Vampire" disc. The wrong on-screen title says "The Loves of Count Iorga, Vampire"?????
------------------
Link Removed

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Thanks a lot!
The screenshots on the DVD Review review are a breath of fresh air after seeing the VHS.
The reason for the color problems is because the film was shot in Pathe Color...I think it's like Eastmancolor...could someone explain what it is?
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Will K

Screenwriter
They have done the same thing with the new "Count Yorga, Vampire" disc. The wrong on-screen title says "The Loves of Count Iorga, Vampire"?????
Apparently, MGM is digging deep into the vaults to find the best prints they can for DVD use. In Yorga's case, the print used not only contains the original title but is also somewhat different from the version released theatrically, being slightly longer with some of the gruesome bits that were snipped for exhibition.
------------------
My Scary DVD Collection

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
In line with the discussion of title differences above...
I also bought The Pit and the Pendulum (1961). I haven't watched it yet, but I did put it in the player for a quick check.
I noticed that the cover calls it "The Pit and the Pendulum" while the title screen on the film itself just says "Pit and the Pendulum."
I checked at Link Removed and it appears that "The ..." is an alternate title. I wonder if there was ever a version where "The ..." appeared on the film.
Obviously a very minor issue.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
quote: P&S artist[/quote]
laugh.gif
i like that one.
------------------
"who needs padding when you can have quality over quantity? more isn't always better." just my 2 cents on post count padders.-----
[Edited last by TonyD on September 16, 2001 at 08:31 AM]
[Edited last by TonyD on September 16, 2001 at 08:31 AM]

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Apparently, MGM is digging deep into the vaults to find the best prints they can for DVD use. In Yorga's case, the print used not only contains the original title but is also somewhat different from the version released theatrically, being slightly longer with some of the gruesome bits that were snipped for exhibition.
That's great, but how hard would it have been for MGM to splice in the original theatrical release title sequence instead of using an unused and different title and creating confusion?
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks