What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

RockBand 3 looks seriously amazing (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Just off the charts....

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2010-06-10-rockband10_VA_N.htm

http://rockbandaide.com/5615/rock-band-3-keyboard-images-songs-video/

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=59767

Check out the new Guitar Hero guitar too!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/09/guitar-hero-warriors-of-rock-axe-gets-the-fingers-on-treatment/

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Rats, I thought this was going to be my dream game about the banking industry and it turns out it's just the next in the Rock Band series. :)

I'm glad to see the keyboard. I wondered how they'd be able to pull It off and it looks like they came up with a pretty good solution.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
You mean it's not about the way the Flintstones saved and exchanged their money?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Could have been worse. At least you didn't write about Guitar Herod.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm losing sleep with excitement for RB3, I plan to book off work to grab it up on day of release ha ha! the new GH looks terrible despite a very nice set list, but I was never much of a fan of that series.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'll be honest, I don't have a lot of interest in actually paying that much money to get the instruments needed to "learn" from RB3. I kind of like the ability to play a song in a simply and approachable way. I enjoy the games for the songs and doing something in rhythm to the songs, not in the simulated playing of instruments (except the drums, which are just fun no matter what).

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Morgan Jolley

I'll be honest, I don't have a lot of interest in actually paying that much money to get the instruments needed to "learn" from RB3. I kind of like the ability to play a song in a simply and approachable way. I enjoy the games for the songs and doing something in rhythm to the songs, not in the simulated playing of instruments (except the drums, which are just fun no matter what).

I hear you, and yes that's always been the attraction of the GH/RB games for wannabe rockers who can't actually play. But personally, I've been considering getting a real electric guitar for some time now, and with this, there really is no "excuse" now for me not to! Playing a game to 'learn' for real is a real bonus, to me at least. You can of course ignore the Pro mode, and no doubt many will continue playing the 'arcade' version of the game (as they are now apparently calling it), which is fine and no doubt in future I'll still be playing plenty of it that way, but I'll certainly be trying the real thing in Pro mode on selected favourite songs.

I just wonder if there will be backwards compatibility for Pro mode for the existing songbase. That's a lot of songs that will have to be recharted, and at who's cost?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I definitely hear your point and actually agree that it's an important thing to put in the game. As RB goes more towards simulation and education, GH is going the opposite route and more towards being a "videogame" with levels and bosses (sort of but not really). The biggest barrier for entry, to me, is the expensive NEW guitar, which is in addition to the 4 I have already (GH 1/2 on PS2 guitar, GH3 on Wii guitar, and two RB 1/2 guitars on PS3).

I doubt that older games will get the new note structures. However, if the process is simplified (since you could basically take the notes and have a computer auto-sample out the sounds from the song based on the notes) then it's possible but it would mean either an update you have to download for each song or including that data on the game disc (unlikely).

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Wow, four guitars already. I only have two. The big worry out here in the Far East is that potentially the game distributors won't bring in the Squier, leaving me to have to import online using various re-shipment services, which will cost a lot and won't guarantee damage-free shipment of a delicate musical instrument.

To date I'd always been fairly agnostic as between Rock Band and Guitar Hero, with perhaps a slight fondness for GH since GH3 was my first PS3 game (I missed the entire console era after the Sega Mega Drive), but was happy to play either. I don't much like the route GH6 appears to be taking, whereas (as already noted) I am really keen on RB's move towards being even closer to the real thing.

I have already read that past DLC will NOT be compatible with Rock Band Pro, which doesn't really surprise me. Perhaps they might do bespoke upgrades of selected rock anthems, at additional cost (but this is pure speculation / wishful thinking on my part). There is also some speculation that if Rock Band Pro for guitar is practically scrolling tabulature, computer whizzes might be able to come up with software that can "read" tabs and convert them into appropriate RB code, which would greatly simplify the process. It would then be relaively straightforward (and cheap) to simply get hold of a good tab score, and scan that, rather than have to manually create the code.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Sadly, something tells me that music publishers' lawyers will quickly run out of letterhead if the game includes a way to scan and use paper tablature.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Sadly, something tells me that music publishers' lawyers will quickly run out of letterhead if the game includes a way to scan and use paper tablature.

I was thinking more of an in-house development tool that Harmonix could use to get songs to us consumers quickly, and at relatively modest cost, which would be important for DLC already released and for which we'd have to pay something extra to get RB Pro coding. Certainly, it could never happen for actual release to us plebs, and in any case how would it sync with the actual music track itself? Even as a development tool, no doubt some human tweaking would be required to get it right.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Guys I am way behind the curve when it goes to music games so lend me a hand. My kids like GH but most of their time is spent on 1st person shooters. I never really got into GH because it just didn't like the idea of button pushing. I know it is more then that but that is how it felt to me. Will this game be able to really teach you how to play a guitar? If so I am getting this for my kids and myself as I think this way I would actually practice.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I don't think we'll know how well you can learn the guitar off RB3 until it arrives, but from what they say so far, it's looking pretty good. I'm curious to see what the pro mode trainers are going to be like. Is it training to show how to read the notes on the screen, or how to play simple chords etc so that you'll be better at hitting the notes on the screen?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Matt^Brown

Guys I am way behind the curve when it goes to music games so lend me a hand. My kids like GH but most of their time is spent on 1st person shooters. I never really got into GH because it just didn't like the idea of button pushing. I know it is more then that but that is how it felt to me. Will this game be able to really teach you how to play a guitar? If so I am getting this for my kids and myself as I think this way I would actually practice.

Existing RB and GH, not at all. RB3, remains to be seen. Having said that, for drums even for the current games I do think that it does certainly 'teach' the basics; the Harmonix boss once claimed that if you could play drums at expert level in Rock Band, you could do it for real, and that does seem plausible.

But if anything, I would think the main thing is to give your kids an interest in the whole concept to begin with, and if they really take to it, they might be interested in learning the real thing.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
the Harmonix boss once claimed that if you could play drums at expert level in Rock Band, you could do it for real, and that does seem plausible.

In some ways, it may be easier to play real drums because in Rock Band you have to be precise as the notes hit or else you are penalized. For example, in Rockband I can never do fast drum rolls because I can't get the hits exactly right which takes a huge chunk of my crowd meter or causes me to fail outright. Real drums wouldn't be that picky.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Looks like the setlist has been leaked

•Amy Winehouse -- Rehab
•Anthrax -- Caught In A Mosh
•At the Drive-In -- One Armed Scissor
•Avenged Sevenfold -- Beast and the Harlot
•B-52's -- Rock Lobster
•Big Country -- In a Big Country
•Bigger, Something Brighter
•Blondie -- Heart of Glass
•Blood, Sweat, & Tears -- Spinning Wheel
•Bob Marley & The Wailers -- Get Up, Stand Up
•Chicago -- 25 or 6 to 4
•David Bowie -- Space Oddity
•Deep Purple -- Smoke on the Water
•Def Leppard -- Foolin'
•Devo -- Whip It
•Dio -- Rainbow in the Dark
•Dire Straits -- Walk of Life
•Dover -- King George
•Echo and the Bunnymen -- Killing Moon
•Elton John -- Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)
•Faith No More -- Midlife Crisis
•Filter -- Hey Man, Nice Shot
•Flaming Lips -- Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 1
•Foreigner -- Cold as Ice
•Golden Earring -- Radar Love
•HIM -- Killing Loneliness
•Huey Lewis and the News -- The Power of Love
•Hypernova -- Viva La Resistance
•INXS -- Need You Tonight
•Ida Maria -- Oh My God
•James Brown -- I Got You (I Feel Good)
•Jane's Addiction -- Been Caught Stealing
•Jimi Hendrix -- Crosstown Traffic
•Joan Jett -- I Love Rock and Roll
•John Lennon -- Imagine
•Juanes -- Me Enamora
•Lynyrd Skynyrd -- Free Bird
•Maná -- Oye Mi Amor
•Marilyn Manson -- The Beautiful People
•Metric -- Combat Baby
•Night Ranger -- Sister Christian
•Ozzy Osbourne -- Crazy Train
•Paramore -- Misery Business
•Phish -- Llama
•Phoenix -- Lasso
•Poni Hoax -- Antibodies
•Pretty Girls Make Graves -- Something
•Primus -- Jerry Was a Race Car Driver
•Queen -- Bohemian Rhapsody
•Queens Of The Stone Age -- No One Knows
•Rammstein -- Du Hast
•Raveonettes -- Last Dance
•Rilo Kiley -- Portions of Foxes
•Riverboat Gamblers -- Don't Bury Me? I'm
•Roxette -- The Look
•Rush -- TBD
•Slipknot -- Before I Forget
•Smash Mouth -- Walkin' on the Sun
•Spacehog -- In the Meantime
•Steve Miller Band -- Fly Like An Eagle
•Still Not Dead
•Stone Temple Pilots -- Plush
•Swingin' Utters -- This Bastard's Life
•T.Rex -- 20th Century Boy
•Tears for Fears -- Everybody Wants to Rule the World
•Tegan and Sara -- The Con
•The Beach Boys -- Good Vibrations (Live)
•The Bronx -- False Alarm
•The Cure -- Just Like Heaven
•The Doors -- Break On Through
•The Muffs -- Outer Space
•The Police -- Don't Stand So Close To Me
•The Ramones -- I Wanna Be Sedated
•The Smiths -- Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before
•The Sounds -- Living in America
•The Vines -- Get Free
•The White Stripes -- The Hardest Button to Button
•The Who -- I Can See For Miles
•Them Crooked Vultures -- Dead End Friends
•Tokio Hotel -- Humanoid
•Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers -- I Need To Know
•War -- Low Rider
•Warren Zevon -- Werewolves Of London
•Whitesnake -- Here I Go Again
•Yes -- Roundabout

Some pretty good ones in there. Looks like they got a few "Finally" bands (Yes, Chicago, Beach Boys)

Still it's damn frustrating that some bands are still lacking, especially since the keyboard is now part of the game. You would think stuff by Genesis, The Moody Blues, ELO, ELP, King Crimson etc. would be no brainers now.

At least they got "Roundabout". "Heart of the Sunrise" and "Close to the Edge" would rule also.

I was also hoping that since Dhani Harrison worked on the game in some capacity, there would be a George Harrison track or two. Was hoping for some Stones too, but they might be getting their own game, I hear.

"Imagine" seems like a odd choice. I fine with having it, but isn't the only instrument in the song Piano? That probably would have been a better option for DLC.

"I Need to Know" by Petty seems like an odd one too. It's good song, but with the Keyboard, I would have figured "You Got Lucky" would have been the better choice.

I'm pretty pumped for "Werewolves of London" I always thought that would a great track for Rock Band, but I can understand that since it's pretty piano driven, it didn't make much sense to have it until now.

I feel Good, by James Brown should be a fun one as well..

Rumor has it that the "TBD" Rush song is going to be "2112" I just hope it's the entire track and not just "Overture/Temples of Syrinx" The also MUST release "Xanadu" as DLC at one point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Indy7solo
Recent bookmarks