What's new

Robert Harris on The Bits - 6/6/05 column - OFFICIAL THREAD (1 Viewer)

Bill Hunt

Insider
Evening, all! We're very pleased today to present a quick new edition of Robert Harris' ever-popular Yellow Layer Failure column at The Dtgital Bits! In this edition, Robert takes a look at a couple of new documentaries just released as extras on a DVD special edition - extras that are actually of real value for a change. Here's the link:

Robert Harris' latest Yellow Layer Failure column

Click above to read Robert's comments and then come on back here to this official thread at the HTF to discuss, give feedback, ask questions of Robert and sound off as you will. Best!

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
I love well crafted documentaries that's why I decided to buy the new JAWS DVD (even if I already have the german collectors edition) and now it seems that I have to buy this set too. Thanks to Mr. Harris for this new insight :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I just got Bullitt: SE and went immediately to The Cutting Edge.

Wow, what a great documentary! Also, it's great how they preserved OAR for every film clip... I noticed a lot of films look better in the doc than actually on DVD. The clips from Pulp Fiction, Reservior Dogs, and The Wild Bunch look vastly better... however, it's pretty obvious that they blew up 4x3 letterbox masters for Vertigo and Days of Thunder.

One clip that really stuck out was the one from Brazil.... here's the Cutting Edge version versus the Criterion DVD:

Criterion:
[url=http://img176.echo.cx/img176/7595/brazilcriterion6xx.jpg] [/url]

The Cutting Edge:
[url=http://img176.echo.cx/img176/9153/brazilcuttingedge3lj.jpg] [/url]

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator
Many years ago there was a good documentary on cinematography that was shown on C4 in England. I still have it on VHS. It was called something like Visions of Light.

Robert's column made me think of that documentary.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Visions of Light is a superb documentary produced in 1992 and available on DVD as publisihed by Imaage Entertainment.

Its only failing is the qualitiy of its clips.

Itis the interviews and insights, however, that are more than worth the price of admission.

RAH

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I think The Cutting Edge is the same documentary I saw on cable a few months ago. Quite excellent. I look forward to the standalone release.

Kevin Webb

Agent
Jay, yes it is the same documentary that has played on the Encore/Starz networks over the last few months. It has become an automatic stop everytime it is on. One of the best docs I have seen about the movie making process.

My favorite parts are the early history of the editor (mostly women), the editors insights on dealing with stars that want/can (based on their contract) particpate in the editing process, and of course watching Walter Murch put together the scene out of Cold Mountain.

His digital editing bay is like something out of a sci-fi movie.

This documentary is for anyone who is even the least bit interested in movie making. I can't recommend it enough and I can't wait for the stand alone DVD.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
On another site, folks are arguing about the Fox dvd of cleopatra, no One seems to know if fox did a transfer from 70mm or 35mm for the dvd. Does anyone know for sure?

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Fantastic article, I agree with Mr. Harris about The Cutting Edge documentary -- fascinating stuff.

I saw a fantastic documentary last year in Film class but I can't remember what it was called, it was hosted by Richard Dreyfuss & it focused on Universal Studios through the Golden Age of film-making. Anyone here know what that documentary is called & if it's available on DVD?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, the Criterion Brazil transfer(s) are actually from the Laserdisc masters, created in 1997/98. The UK region 2 transfer from Fox is anamorphic and is sharper than the Criterion transfer and has stronger colour and contrast - just like your Cutting Edge screenshot.

I just ordered Bullitt. I wasn't even aware that The Cutting Edge was part of the set and I have badly wanted to see it. Murch is an awesomely articulate old pro. Everyone who loves films and is interested in how they are made, should check out this book:

The Conversations: Walter Murch and the Art of Editing Film

One of the best films books of recent years.

David Jay

Stunt Coordinator
Gordon, THIRD time in the past week or so that book's been recommended to me. I've got it on my 'list' at the library, but I definitely have to check it out now.

Also, the Cutting Edge, I have to find a way to get that too. So much essential viewing material, so little time!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks