What's new

Robert Carringer, Respected Orson Welles Scholar, Dies at 81 (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Film scholar Robert Carringer recently passed away at age 81. Carringer wrote several books including The Making of Citizen Kane and The Magnificent Ambersons: A Reconstruction which i have on my shelf. He did the commentary on Ambersons laserdisc and Blu-ray and was involved in the recent project for the missing footage search in Brazil and finishing on a third book about Welles. Rest in Peace.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I saw Ambersons when I was in college but didn’t really get it. His commentary on the laserdisc opened my eyes, and with repeat viewings, it became my favorite movie. I didn’t know him, but I’m very grateful to him.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I still remember my excitement when I received the Criterion laserdisc of Citizen Kane in 1985. Besides having a great presentation of the film (best ever at that time), it also featured a frame-by-frame slideshow by Robert Carringer that was full of interesting info. I think I was up till 2:00 AM going through it all and had to go to work the next morning. The Ambersons disc package was even more impressive, with Carringer's commentary alerting us to cuts and reshoots, etc. He definitely provided valuable info and insight into those two Welles films. RIP.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
When i started to buy laserdiscs towards the end of that format the Criterion release of Ambersons was on the top of my list. Now i have all three versions Criterion released on my shelf.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks