What's new

Road to Avonlea, New Season 3 Widescreen version (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
For those interested in the remastering efforts Sullivan has been doing over the past couple of years, a new widescreen remastered version of season 3 from an HD source (though it is a DVD release) just came out this month. A remastered season 4 is reported to be out in 2011. The remastered seasons 1 and 2 came out last year. All three seasons are on sale right now from Sullivan directly for $33 a season.

In addition, for Anne of Green Gables fans, the first movie has been remastered from an HD source and is currently up for pre-order (due out in a few days).

Apparently, these were all filmed in 1.66 format. So in going to widescreen there is some extra content added to the sides and some removed from the top and bottom. Having the remastered RTA seasons 1 and 2 already, I can say there is some improvement over the previous releases.

At some point you would have to think they would release Blu-ray versions. The only reasons I can think of for them not doing it yet are:

1. They want to milk another DVD release out of everyone first

2. They don't believe their fan base is HD savy, which might be true based on some of the Sullivan forum comments I've read.

3. Based on the capability and condition of the film source their not sure an HD version will show much improvement

I already have the previous releases of seasons 5 through 7, the remastered widescreen releases of seasons 1 and 2, and just ordered the new widescreen release of season 3. Once the remastered season 4 comes out I'll be good to go with what I have on DVD and won't upgrade any further.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'd love to see the whole series in Blu Ray. And certainly the first two Anne of Green Gables films. The DVDs had awful compression quality ; MPEG-2 just cannot handle analog video noise very well. What's worse is that they removed the opening credits on all but about five episodes of Road to Avonlea I'm glad to hear the discs are not cropped from a 1.33:1 original like Kung Fu was, but do reveal extra info on the sides. Was the show shot in Super 16? I'm guessing if it was shot 1.66:1 and is presented at 1.78:1 it might have been.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I seem to recall someone referencing Super 16 in a comment on the RTA forum, so that is probably the case.

I do wish they didn't plaster HD master on the release covers though, since it seems to be creating confusion on the RTA forum where they are being referenced as HD releases when they are just SD releases that are downconverted from an HD master.

At the rate they are going it will still be a few years before all seasons are remastered and released.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Thanks for starting this thread, Brad. These widescreen releases also contain four new documentaries and closed captioning, for those interested. I'm in the process of taking advantage of Shop at Sullivan's Black Friday sale, which ends today, for Season 3. Now, I'm probably asking too much but I hope they've housed the discs in a much better fashion than the last two season sets.

Might have to wait for Anne of Green Gables as PBS will have a future HD broadcast. Hopefully they'll do the same for Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel.

I've been waiting for 12 years, and since they've remastered and have restored the opening credits, another few years for the remaining four seasons doesn't seem so far off. I wish the additional footage that aired on The Disney Channel was included, but it looks like they might have been lost.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by ChrisCook

I've been waiting for 12 years, and since they've remastered and have restored the opening credits, another few years for the remaining four seasons doesn't seem so far off. I wish the additional footage that aired on The Disney Channel was included, but it looks like they might have been lost.

Additional footage?

When Disney released the first season on DVD, they were even worse quality than the old Sullivan DVDs and had lots of edits. The pilot episode was 11 minutes shorter.

I was going to wait to see if Sullivan had any interest in BD but the quality of the DVDs sounds so good I may break down, sell the old DVDs and get those.

And is PBS actually rebroadcasting "Anne" in HD? I don't see anything on PBS's web page.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by MatthewA

Additional footage?

When Disney released the first season on DVD, they were even worse quality than the old Sullivan DVDs and had lots of edits. The pilot episode was 11 minutes shorter.

[/QUOTE]

What I was referring to were those scenes added to the US premium channel and were not aired on CBC. Unless things have changed, Sullivan doesn't have access to the various international cuts.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I've been waiting for a better version of AOGG for a long time. Please let me know how the quailty is. If it's significantly better I'll def get it. The release I have now is horrible.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Bob_S.

I've been waiting for a better version of AOGG for a long time. Please let me know how the quailty is. If it's significantly better I'll def get it. The release I have now is horrible.

The same reason I've held out for this long in purchasing the first two; Anne of Avonlea I've read is a slight improvement over Green Gables, but not by much. Brad, let us know how this new one fares when you receive your copy.

I hope Alliance can be convinced to remaster and restore Due South to the non-syndicated broadcasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks