What's new

Amazon Prime Road House (2024) (2 Viewers)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The original is a classic. I’ll not hear otherwise. Remaking was a terrible idea, but Limon almost always overdelivers. So I’ll check this out.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If they wanted/intended this to be in theaters, it would be.
That depends on who "they" are. Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy ran MGM prior to its acquisition by Amazon. Since then, they left and now run Warner Bros. film division under David Zazlav. It sounds like Doug Limen signed up to make the film as a theatrical release when they were still there. Then Amazon's executives came in and apparently decided to make Road House a streaming release instead of theatrical.

I can completely understand Doug Limen being ticked off that he signed up to make it as a theatrical release and then that commitment was not honored by the new administration. I'd be ticked in that situation, too. Especially considering that, as you noted, Amazon is putting other MGM stuff in theaters but not this one, it inadvertently sends the message that this one is not as good or not worthwhile for theatrical release. That isn't a good way to support your filmmakers.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
In this day and age, directors and actors need to get it in writing in their contracts that a film will be released theatrically. They can't just depend on the word of studio execs. Liman may have agreed to direct under prior MGM management, but the film was not officially given the green light until several months after Amazon had purchased the studio so it seems like Liman had time to get out of the project if the agreed-upon release strategy had changed.

There has to be some problem with the film. You have a well-known director and actor in the lead role in a remake of a cult hit from the 80s. Seems like surely this should be going to theaters.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And Patrick Swayze did?

Swayze was a terrible actor and a flat onscreen presence.

Gyllenhaal's a radically superior actor.
Uhm… what?!?!

No one in the history of ‘80s and ‘90s cinema has accused Swayze of being uncharismatic (or flat onscreen presence)!

I refer you to all high school friends who utterly swooned over him in Ghost. And then all the 20-something dudes that had man crushes on him after Point Break in the ‘90s.

😂

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What an odd debate. To me, a movie is "bad" if it fails to be what it's intended to be. For example, I'm not exactly a fan of The Devil's Rejects, but it is not a bad movie. It's actually eminently successful at achieving its goal. It's just not a goal I personally value. Jake Gyllenhaal is undeniably a better actor than Patrick Swayze, but that isn't the end of it all. It's a big world. Both movies can exist in it. The original Road House was obviously successful at being what it was intended to be.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Uhm… what?!?!

No one in the history of ‘80s and ‘90s cinema has accused Swayze of being uncharismatic (or flat onscreen presence)!

I refer you to all high school friends who utterly swooned over him in Ghost. And then all the 20-something dudes that had man crushes on him after Point Break in the ‘90s.

😂

Looking great shirtless isn't the same as cinematic charisma.

He was a dull and not especially talented actor.

Handsome, seemed like a decent guy.

Couldn't act.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The original Road House was obviously successful at being what it was intended to be.
I would disagree with that because, while they weren't trying to make Citizen Kane, they set out to make a good movie and their attempt ended in a movie that is inadvertently funny. Just like great bad movies like Showgirls or Red Dawn or Plan 9 From Outer Space, it's very entertaining because it's bad.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What the hell is going on in this thread?? Yikes. 😳

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I for one LOVE the original film. A true cult classic. I wish this was being released in theaters as it looks tailor made for a great Saturday night at the movies. Just like the original.

Cheers everything 😎

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What the hell is going on in this thread?? Yikes. 😳

Patrick Swayze GIF

😂

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
As much as I love the original Road House having seen it in the movie theater during its theatrical run and owning the expensive Vinegar Syndrome 4K/UHD. This is a remake of a "bad" movie so it's going to be a "bad" movie too. With that said, "bad" movies are among my favorite kind of movies that can be highly entertaining which the first one was and judging by the trailer, this one will be too.
With one crucial fine line of distinction. Any 'bad movie' with Patrick Swayze is good by definition. This will just be another watered down attempt by Hollywood to rebottle the magic of the original. Road House can hardly be considered a classic. But it's a whole lotta fun. I can't imagine this being anything but a downer.

I'll digress to the late/great Barbara Stanwyck who, when asked why she did TV's The Colbys, replied, "There's nothing wrong doing trash if you know that it is." This trailer is trying to make Road House go legit.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
On the topic of "bad" movies being remade into "good" movies, I'll offer this example.

I am personally a fan of David Lynch's Dune, but with a Metacritic score of 41 it is safe to put this in the bad category. I don't think the film is very well received by many audience members. I had read Herbert's book and was a fan of Lynch's aesthetic, so I was predisposed to liking the 1984 version.

In 2021, director Denis Villeneuve presented us with part one of his version of Dune. This film currently has a Metacritic score of 74 and is more highly regarded than its predecessor.

I believe there are multiple contributing factors:

- The remake is being given the screen time to tell the store in a more comprehensive fashion, whereas the original felt very rushed in the second half of the feature.
- Having seen the original film, or the television mini-series, audiences might be a little bit more at home in the world of Dune.
- The remake has a superior cast.
- Advances in FX and computer technology over a 37 year period provides the opportunity to present a more seamless portrait of a technologically advanced civilization.

I am not attempting to castigate the original feature, which I do enjoy; merely pointing out that in the hands of a talented filmmaker like Villeneuve it is possible to present a superior version of a "bad" movie.

- Walter.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I am not attempting to castigate the original feature, which I do enjoy; merely pointing out that in the hands of a talented filmmaker like Villeneuve it is possible to present a superior version of a "bad" movie.
But Villeneuve didn't remake Lynch's "bad" film, he did his own adaptation of Herbert's novel. Two entirely different things.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
While I agree that both filmmakers used Herbert's work as their inspiration, I am less convinced that "remake" doesn't apply to some degree. It isn't as if Villeneuve didn't have knowledge of the first film and was not influenced to some degree by that work. Perhaps I am arguing about "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" however and will concede the point. :)

- Walter.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jake Gyllenhaal says they were fully aware they were making this film for streaming only. Apparently Amazon offered them a $60 million budget that included a theatrical release, or $85 million for streaming release only, and they elected to take the higher budget with no theatrical release.

Apparently Liman and Silver thought if they made a good film, they could change Amazon's mind. But when they didn't budge, Liman went on a tirade.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks