What's new

Restless Leg Syndrome (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Is there an epidemic?
Tell you the truth, I'm not an expert so I'm not sure every bouncing foot or leg is RLS.
I am, however, seeing a LOT of bouncing.
Sunday afternoon I was in a theater and a 20 something male, BTW, this will mostly deal with 20 something males....was bouncing the foot that was in the air near me.
Later that day I was in a bookstore and a young man was, bouncing his foot.
Today, waiting for a car repair a young man sitting near me was, B.H.F.
At the usual mad frantic pace.
Minutes later, a middle-age man (maybe he was immature) was doing the whole leg bounce. Toe on floor, raising heel up and down, real fast, endlessly.
If you suffer from this malady, and I've just offended an entire group of miserably suffering innocents. I'm sorry.
So, mostly one age group, mostly males. WTF?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I don't think RLS has much to do with bouncing ones leg. That's more due to stress or anxiety. Isn't RLS more about pain/aching in the legs and not so much movement?

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I'm a leg bouncer at work. I sit at a desk all day, the only exercise is my walk to the bathroom or out to break / lunch. Occasionally I make a trip to the printer / copier or the fax machine.... we are still in the ice age, the printer / fax / copier are actually 3 seperate machines!

I find my leg, typically my left bouncing up and down at a very rapid rate a lot through out the day. When I am home and I am laid out on the couch with my feet up on the ottoman ( as I do right now) I typically shake my.. left foot.

There are days.. well, mostly nights when I feel like my legs have stored energy through out the day and I can't move enough to burn it off.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, bouncing foot is just a way for us thin people to stay thin.:)

Not to be confused with the Jimmy legs.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My mom would chide me about the leg bouncing when I was a kid - there was an implication that it was related to some kind of deviant behavior. I don't think I do it anymore - or at least not very often. :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I bounce my legs a lot! My mom used to yell at me a lot when we were wacthing TV because my leg would be going crazy!!

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I went to college for music and we all bounced our legs. I always attributed it to being a musician. Though I know that non-musicians bounce away. ;)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Does it seem like males do this more than females? Because I've only heard females wonder why it's done.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I did see female musicians doing it as well. But they weren't the most feminine females around.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
When you see TV commercials for herpes medicatine do you suddenly see crotch-scratchers everywhere you go?

I think you've just got 'commercial-related hypocondria by proxy'

PhillJones

Second Unit
[RANT]

RLS is one of those conditions that the pharmaceutical industry is trying to convince everybody that they have. It's widely miss-understood, even in the medical profession so they can write their marketing materials and adverts like newspaper horoscopes do (ie could be interpreted to be anybody). Being a bit fidgety, is not RLS. Just like feeling anxiety before walking into a room full of people you don't know is not social anxiety disorder, it's called being shy, and constipation isn't always IBS, sometimes it's just your bodies way of telling you to eat more broccoli.

[/RANT]

Mary M S

Screenwriter
The strange and secret life of humans.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

I fidget, always have.

I bounce my top foot when legs are crossed sitting, and I pace constantly when on the phone, (ruining many phone cords over the years).
I also cannot tolerate standing in queues'. I want to sit down (on any surface available and bounce that foot!) I can get a claustrophobic sensation standing in a motionless line.

This kind of fidgeting is now studied by many researchers as regards why some who are forced by work constraints etc to sit for long periods of time, will remain leaner than fellow more restrained 'sitters'.

It falls under NEAT. Nonexercise activity thermogenesis.

Worse, - I often rub the sole of one foot across the bridge of the other rhythmically while falling asleep. You would think this would drive my husband insane, but he states he never notices it. I guess it is a soft enough motion with a small range of movement which remains under his sensory radar.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm with ya Phill, I too hate when people associate minor issues with big name problems....

"Oh, I'm sad today, I must have depression" :rolleyes
"My head hurts, I must have a migraine!" :rolleyes
"My stomach hurts, it must be an ulcer" :rolleyes

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I think what we've got here is Restless Henry Gale Syndrome, everyone bounces their leg at one time or other, probably out of boredom or you just want your legs to do something anything [whacks leg] move yer lazy bastage! I think I have Restless Hands Syndrome... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks