What's new

Replacing a Yamaha RX-V1 (1 Viewer)

grlmopz

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Hi there,

I've recently purchased a 60" HDTV and I'm considering purchasing an HDMI-compatible receiver to replace my Yamaha RX-V1.

A friend has provided me with an unbelievable deal (i.e. less than half of retail price) on the Sony STRDA5300ES receiver. I don't usually think of Sony's receivers as top-of-the-line, but I'm pretty impressed by its CNET rating of 8.7.

My question is: Will the Sony receiver pale in comparison to my Yamaha? Is it as good as the CNET editors believe? Does the Sony have enough new features (HMDI, 7.1, others?) to make me forget about the RX-V1 (which I've loved from the moment I installed it).

Thanks,
Scott.

King-0f-Clever

Auditioning
Real Name
Philipp
Scott
Having switched from a sony to a yamaha i gotta say dont do it. the difference in quality is unbelievable. Then again im a noob and dont know much so heh i might be wrong.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Scott,

I have a Yamaha DSP-a1 (one generation removed from the V1) that I am considering replacing and I am curious to see what (if anything) you or members of this board come up with as a replacement.

It might help is you include a list of other equipment, especially speakers, that you have or intend to have hooked up to the receiver.

Regards,

Dave

Prestige Wiring OKC

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
I would choose Yamaha over Sony any day. Their receivers usually have more watts than others and they sound great. I have installed hundreds of them and have few issues with them as well. A well priced Yamaha receiver with the most bang for your buck is the RXV-661.

keithVANhorn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Steinmetz
Do not go Sony.... Anything Yamaha with sound better than the equivalent Sony.
I must add that I have never liked the sound of Sony audio gear. To me they sound like something's just not right. Just not a fan of anything Sony and audio related. Sorry....

Are you looking at the new RX-Z11 that just came out or something not quite that price range? If not the RX-V3800 or 1800 would fit the bill nicely.

jlefevre

Grip
Real Name
James LeFevre
I replaced a pioneer with a Yamaha RX-V2700. Needed HDMI switching. It was only one with 3 HDMI at the time. All those are full now and I don't know what to do it I need more. (Direct TV HD box, Blue Ray player, Macintosh Mini Computer) . I am not a Sony fan and would not recommend that at all. As far as sound I have bypassed all of the solid state power amps in the Yamaha and am using about 310 watts of tube amps in 7 different channels (2 @ 35 watt subwoofer to dual vc driver, 60 watt front left, 60 watt front right, 35 watt to right surround, 35 watt to left surround, and 50 watts to front center). Dramatic sound improvement in all areas over solid state amps. Wish I could have found a receiver with 4 or 5 HDMI inputs. Wish I could find one with NO power amps. Oh well.

jlefevre

Grip
Real Name
James LeFevre
Thanks. I have started looking at those. Found some that also switch the optical and coax audio at the same time, remote controlled. Using a Harmony remote so it should be easy to automate.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I have to agree and I would even go as far as saying Yamaha is better than Sony ES. ;)

You could look at some of the new Yamaha but you also should look at the Denon's as well. I am basically in the same boat as you right now and am researching a receiver to replace my RX-V995. Not as nice as your RX-V1 most likely, but we are basically doing the same thing. Upgrading to something with newer decoding and newer features.

The Pioneer Elites might be a consideration but then they do not have a Reon scaler or the Audyssey ether. Denon IMHO only has the one short coming if you even consider it to be a short coming. And that is the lack of a Reon scaler which many say is the best available at this time compaired to the Faroudja. I find the Denon to sound very good and not only does it have very good performance but alot of features for the money. The Integra's sound very good as well but like there Onkyo counter part my concern is the heat issue. If the Reon scaler is something you are looking for then the top two Onkyo's or the top of the line Integra might be what your looking for? But there is the heat issue and they do run really hot. And if you can not provide enough ventalation I would stay away from them. The Onkyo 805 has that issue and it does not upscale 480 or 720 to 1080p. The Denon AVR-3808ci however to my knowledge does upconvert all the sources to 1080p via the HDMI output.

What is your budget for the receiver?

How many HDMI inputs do you need for now and the near future?

What speakers will you be using with your new receiver?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks