Remote controlled lighting

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by bigshot, May 30, 2011.

1. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    I just set up a x10.com remote control lighting system in my theater in about 15 minutes. From my main viewing position I can now contol the dimmer on the overhead lights, turn two table lamps on and off and switch on the Xmas lights I use to find my way to the bathroom in the dark. I feel like Steven Spielberg!

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Very nice. Is that RF based or IR based? Did you just use replacement wall switches for the overhead lights and dimmer modules for the table lamps? Were you able to use your existing universal remote?

3. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    It's Infrared, so I suppose you could use a universal remote. I'm using wall switches as the remote, they're flat and lay on a table nice. Easier to handle in the dark than a remote and I have three separate lights and a dimmer on it. It was a little bit confusing to figure out which modules I needed. Eventually I ended up with a wall dimmer, a transmitter and three appliance switch modules. The dimmer covered the overhead, two appliance switches covered two table lamps on the same button and the third button covered the Xmas lights I use for night lights.