What's new

Reducing chroma on my TW65X81? (1 Viewer)

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
I was watching the new release of 2001: A Space Odyessy and noticed that whenever there was a shot of one of the cockpits that was bathed in red light, the red would shimmer in the picture. A member suggested that I reduce the chroma on my set to fix this. I unfortunately have no clue how to do this. My set is a Toshiba TW65X81 and the DVD image is coming from a Toshiba SD-5109 Progressive scan player. Could someone tell me how to do it?
Thanks,
Seb
------------------
"I deem him one of the greatest beings alive in our time. I do not see his like elsewhere. His name will live in English letters; it will live in the annals of war; it will live in the legends of Arabia." - Winston Churchill on T.E. Lawrence

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
First I'm going to assume that you have calibrated your set using Avia or Video Essentials. If not stop reading, run out and buy one of these discs, and get to standard.
wink.gif

The X81 series is notorious for excessive red push even when calibrated. Using Avia you'll find red color decoder values around 20-25% above neutral relative to green and blue. As an interim measure simply reduce the Color level from wherever the final calibration leaves you. Don't touch Tint. Use Avia's color decoder check and get the red level down to no more than 10-15% (their recommendation - personally I think anything more than 10% is way too red). Our eyes are more sensitive to red oversaturation than blue/green undersaturation so it's a worthwhile trade-off.
You are also able to reduce just the red through the Designer Mode. More work but a better solution as you maintain blue/green saturation. The best resource for TV tweaks is Errol's HDTV. This link will take you to details on how to change your internal decoder settings. Good luck.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
Avia will reduce it if I run it? I have been wanting to pick it up for some time, but haven't gotten the cash considering all the great releases lately. You said in reducing Red on Avia, that blue and green would be undersaturated? Is then Designer Mode the best solution?
Seb
------------------
"I deem him one of the greatest beings alive in our time. I do not see his like elsewhere. His name will live in English letters; it will live in the annals of war; it will live in the legends of Arabia." - Winston Churchill on T.E. Lawrence

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
For tweaking displays, Avia is an absolute must have. It includes 3 color filters (red green blue) that will allow you to easily check the red push on your TV.
Errol's site linked above will have instructions for reaching the designer menu, where you will be able to adjust the color decoder.
I suggest you spend a LOT of time reading through the suggestions on that site if you wish to do the tweaks yourself. One mistake, and you can mess up your TV! Everything you want to know is listed there. Trust me. :)
It took me hours to get comfortable with the service menus on my TW40X81. Fixing red push is time consuming, and you have to make sure you are adjusting it for the proper input...initially I had trouble finding the designer menu item for it...ending up adjusting it for the WRONG inputs. Oops.
blush.gif

Reducing red push will not cause green/blue to undersaturate if you are adjusting the color decoder. Adjusting tint and color however could. It is best to use the blue filter from the Avia disk to adjust hue (tint) and saturation (color), and ignore the red and green adjustments. On my TW40X81, I can never adjust the red and green color bars on the Avia standard color bar test properly. It is impossible, I believe...but blue is easy. Once you adjust tint/color for blue, adjust the color decoder from the designer menu.
Remember, write the initial values in the service/designer modes BEFORE changing anything...you'll be in a world of hurt if you don't!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettKarina
Recent bookmarks