What's new

Red Eye - Most innovative trailer in recent memory? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Try not to see the latest "Redeye" trailer because it gives far too much away, and that was a disappointment.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
While having a short running time, most of it was tension-filled, and the plot wasn't overly complicated, which kept the film moving at a nice pace. Good performances by Racehl McAdams (hope she's around for a long while, she's easy on the eyes), and Cillian Murphy as the charming baddie. I was grateful that the characters don't act idiotic in a genre thriller film, and director Wes Craven gives the viewers a few "Boo!" moments just for show, but they aren't the focus of the story.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Lots of tension and build-up, but the ending was kind of a letdown. The last chase kept going in circles and bored me a little bit.

Also, there's a few plot holes that you can find when you think about it a little.

Decent, but not great.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
This was a very enjoyable film. I haven't cared for anything Craven's done in a long time, but as a fan of both Cillian Murphy and the absolutely gorgeous Rachel McAdams, I went to see this one.

The film is very tightly paced. Once the initial flirting between McAdams and Murphy ends, the ball gets rolling and doesn't stop until the end. Such pacing doesn't always work to a film's benefit, but in this case, it fits. The film offers plenty of thrills and a good amount of suspense within a short period of time. The scenes on the plane are great, managing to be both intense and often quite humorous.

As expected, McAdams and Murphy play wonderfully off of each other. Murphy has a sinister, rather creepy vibe to him that makes him a natural when it comes to playing villains. He juggles his character's calm demeanor and intensity quite well. McAdams is the most talented up and coming actress I've seen in years, and her talent is matched only by her sheer beauty. She pulls off her character's sweet, but strong nature without problem.

Overall, this is Craven's best film since New Nightmare. It helps that everything else he's done since that film has been pure crap, but Red-Eye is still a fast paced, entertaining romp that allows two great actors to shine. There are a few minor flaws, but I just sat back and enjoyed the ride.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Am I crazy, or was Colby from Survivor: Australia the lead security for the Deputy Secretary?

Also, I agree. I thought it was good entertainment, and didn't feel overlong. That they broke out of the airplane and took to other locations helped immensely. Cillian is certainly having a good year.

Edit: Let's add an 'L'. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That was Colby. Everytime I see Colby, I think to myself: "That's Colby Donaldson from Survivor: The Outback, what a dummy he was on that show."

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Glad to learn that it's being well received by you guy's here, i'm seeing it next weekend and can't wait! :emoji_thumbsup:

Also, Hollywood knows they have a new good thing with Rachel McAdams, she's been in two fairly big films in the space of a month. And why shouldn't they? She can act and she's one of those actresses that just shoots an arrow through your heart everytime one look's at her! :b

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Rachel's seemingly everywhere! I just watched The Hot Chick on FX and she played the hot chick, before she turns into (((SHUDDER))) Rob Shneider that is. :frowning:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I hate having three posts in a row, but I just saw the film yesterday and loved every minute of it! :emoji_thumbsup:

Man, that Cillian Murphy is one spookey dude! I didn't think it was possible for him to be creepier then he was in Batman Begins but I was wrong. Just looking at him sends ice through one's veins, which was in stark contrast to the vision that is Rachel McAdams. As Roger Ebert pointed out, she's a very natural actress who makes even the most unbelievable actions seem plausable and real.

Craven hasn't lost it, he's turned out a tense first class thriller that came along at the right moment and was a welcome addition to an already awesome summer at the movies.

My favorites this summer in order...

Star Wars EP III Revenge of the Sith

Batman Begins

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Red Eye

Land of the Dead

Wedding Crashers

Missed War of the World's sadly, but am all over it when it hit's dvd. :emoji_thumbsup:

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Saw it yesterday 'cause I had nothing better to do. Decent, entertaining, no more. Begining and middle are enjoyeable enough, the third act is typical slasher cat and mouse stuff, a genre which I am not at all a fan of.

I actually got quite excited when I saw Brian Cox in the credits, but he was utterly wasted.

A bit miffed I paid full price, this is matinee material.

--
H

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
My girl and I saw it last Saturday at a matinee showing. When I saw the 1 hour 25 minute running time, I knew not to pay full price. It could've been the best movie I've ever seen, but I won't pay full price for such a short running time.

It WASN'T the best movie I've ever seen, but I really enjoyed it. I didn't dislike the third act as much as H, but I agree that it was my least favorite of the movie.

This is one of the best summers I can remember where there've been so many movies I've liked. Now I can't wait for "Transporter 2" and "A History of Violence"!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Finally got around to seeing this one. I'm a big Craven fan, and while this was more conventional than some of his films, I had a good time. It reminded me a lot of Phone Booth and Cellular with it's simplicity but strong character interaction. Cillian Murphy is having a hell of a year, and Rachel McAdams continues to shine. The chase around the house at the end reminded me a lot of the end of Nightmare. The house design was even a little similar.

Overall, a pretty fun time. My only regret was that Brian Cox should have been used a little more.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Holy Crap! Watching the movie I felt like I recognized him from somewhere but I would never have guessed that.

I enjoyed Red Eye. Like Matt, it too reminded me of Cellular (another fun film). Although the chase at the end was prtty conventional I thought that Craven's mastery of the craft really came through so much that I still found it suitably tense even if I've seen such scenes a million times before.

And I also appreciate seeing a nice old school, no frills, non-flashy approach to the genre again. Especially in contrast to seeing the preview of The Fog remake before the movie.

Carl_G

Stunt Coordinator
Loved the original teaser because I made no association at all to 'red eye' being the night flight. I really thought it was some nickname for a demon, and this was some dark angel character up to something wicked.

Gotta admit now that I saw the second trailer, I am absolutely disappointed. The teaser could have been a wonderfully sublime, fantastic premise. The new trailer just shows that this is just yet another (yawn) story about bad guys.

What was going to be a 'must see' for me has turned into 'better things to do with 8 bucks'.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Carl,
the film may be about bad guy's, but it's a really well done one and the main villian is as close as a human can get to being your dark angel. If you enjoy thrillers it would be a shame to pass this up.

Taut, exciting and with strong performances, especially from Cillian Murphy, just an all around great movie and a worthy one to spend that 8 bucks on. :emoji_thumbsup:

James T

Screenwriter
Has anyone seen the trailer for Derailed? I saw it when I went to see A History of Violence. It stars Jennifer Aniston and Clive Owens. The trailer starts off with a little flirting on a train that leads to a kiss at the bar which leads to a night in a hotel room, followed by....well, you should watch the trailer and see if you thought about the Red Eye trailer too.

http://movies.aol.com/movie/main.adp...lers&mid=22794

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks