What's new

Record Out selector/ video recording questions? (1 Viewer)

Jim Zanbehr

Agent
I'm considering the upgrade purchase of one of two audio video receivers. One has a Record Out/Source selector and the other does not. Now I rarely do audio recording of one source while listening to another, but I often watch one TV program channel while recording something from another channel to my VCR.
So my first question is this, since I'll be connecting all my home theater and audio equipment to the new receiver does that mean that unless I buy the receiver with the Record Out selector I won't be able to watch one TV program while recording another? Or does that problem only apply to audio recording? What about timer recording? If I tape something via the VCR timer while I'm out do I need to have the A/V receiver powered up as well since all the connections are presumably running thru it?

KrisM

Second Unit
It depends on how your equipment is set-up. Do you use cable or satellite? If you use cable and it runs into your vcr then into your tv, you will be ok.If you use satellite and it runs into your receiver first then into your tv you will probably need a record selector. If the price is not too much higher, I say go with the receiver with the record selector, you might need it some day.
Regards
KrisM
[Edited last by KrisM on November 02, 2001 at 05:05 PM]

Jim Zanbehr

Agent
I actually don't have either Cable or Satelite at present. I had great reception from a set top antenna until the 9/11 WTC attack and the collapse. I probably will be getting Cable at some point in the not too distant future. I'm trying to plan my upgrades for when I do get it as well as simply improve my home theater/music experience.
So are you saying I would need to run the Cable into my VCR, not the receiver? Or would it be better to run it thru the receiver? I'm still not clear from your response if I would need to keep my receiver powered up for timer VCR taping when I'm not home?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jim,
The “Record Out” selector works the same for video recording as it does for audio recording. For instance, if you had DVD and two VCRs you could record from one VCR to the other while watching a DVD.
If you were getting all your programming from a TV antenna before, things might be a little different when you get cable. If you get only basic cable, it will function the same as the antenna: Change your TV and VCR menus from “Antenna” to “CATV,” and you will be able to watch one program while taping another, just like you always have. It will have nothing to do with the A/V receiver, just like before.
However, if you get upgraded cable service (premium channels, movie channels, etc.) you will have a cable box. Things get a little more complicated then. You could watch a cable movie (or premium channel) while recording a program from basic cable, or vice versa. However, you would have to have two cable boxes to be able to record and watch two cable movies and/or premium channels at the same time.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Will_S

Auditioning
wayne, is accurate with his scenario, you need two boxes to tape different sources when its a scrambled channel like movies or some other premium tier channels, though very few scramble there signals besides the movie channels.
personally I ran a separate line to my VCR for independent recording of basic cable, another line goes to the digital cable box, then out to the reciever, of course you lose 3.5 db gain per split, so depending on how many outlets you have and the signal strength coming in, you might run into poor image quality if you are using a 6 or 8 way house splitter. then you should consider asking them to install a house amp to boost the signal.
[Edited last by Will_S on November 02, 2001 at 11:37 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks