What's new
World Wide Stereo

Receiver with Assignable Subwoofers to A/B or Zone? (1 Viewer)

schematic

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Chambers
Hi, I'm looking for a little help finding an HT receiver that meets a specific need that I've got as a result of some home remodeling... I need a 7.2 (or even 5.2 if there is such a thing) receiver capable of assigning one subwoofer to one set of mains and the other to another set. In other words, I need A/B switching with the subwoofer coming along for the ride. I don't think my rig matters much, but in broad terms: A is a 5.1 home theater with Artison mains and Velodyne MicroVee sub B is a 2.1 music only setup with Klipsch mains and JBL E250P sub Other requirements that should be pretty standard these days: - HDMI out and at least three HDMI inputs - Component video in with matched optical or digital audio input - Passive pass through of at least one HDMI input (for the wife's simple cable box viewing) Bonus points for something that can be controlled via Android, including power on/off and A/B switching. Best as I can tell, only Yamaha, Sony and Onkyo have this these days, but I'm far from sure. Also, would be nice to run both A and B simultaneously from different inputs but that's not essential. Don't need to spend for extra bells & whistles, but can spend what it takes. I'm upgrading from a Sony STR-DA1000ES only because it can't do this and I don't want to run two separate setups. Thanks all for any suggestions that would do the trick.

728x90

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I'm not sure that any receivers out there operate their zone 2 quite in that manner. If you had a passive subwoofer for the second room, you could simply wire the speaker-level outputs for the second zone into the passive subwoofer and configure things that way.

A bigger question, since the second system is "music only," is why even bother with a single receiver with a second zone? Why not use a second receiver (I mean, beyond your comment of "I don't want to") Can you give us a specific reason why not? I think for the extra $$ you might spend getting a single receiver with a zone 2 that will work exactly the way you want it to (i.e. not the way they typically work), you could probably get a mid-level surround sound model for the theater and a separate 2.1 or simpler 5.1 model for the music room (set up to run as 2.1).

Perhaps other readers will offer other suggestions, but in my years on this forum, I don't recall ever hearing of a multi-zone feature allowing "assignable" subwoofer preouts.

schematic

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Chambers
Thanks for the quick reply and yours is a great question because I guess I'm asking for something off the wall without even knowing it. The big limitation is that my incumbent Sony doesn't have a line-level input, best as I can tell at least. If it did, I guess I could anchor the 2.1 setup with it while still being able to control the whole thing (minus the Sony's power on/off) from the HT setup. I guess I'll wait a few days to see if anyone else knows of one with assignable subwoofer outputs. If not, I'll move onto Plan B. Thanks again

schematic

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Chambers
Alright well I can only gather from the lack of responses that I am somehow looking for something exotic (or, probably more likely, wrong headed). I've given up on my dream of having a single receiver driving separate 5.1 and 2.1 setups through A and B channels (or even Zones 1 & 2). So I'm just going to get an Onkyo HT-RC360 for the 5.1 and run the 2.1 separately off my old receiver. Thanks for looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks