What's new

International Ray Harryhausen, Gallipoli, The Dead Zone, Sleuth (1 Viewer)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
As with fellow Aussies here on HTF, I buy many films from US, UK, Germany, France and even Japan. So it seems only right to also inform fellow members about some releases here in Australia that may be of interest. I can personally confirm that all the Blu-rays listed here play on Region-A players. The only DVD listed here - Sleuth - is being released today and is advertised by its distributors as All-Region.

As at the time of writing, Aussie retail outlet JB-HiFi has multiple compounding promotional offers - including 20% off all items until 6th Dec 2015. Together with a roughly $7-US to $10-AUD exchange rate, it may be a good time to import these titles.

The Fantastic Films of Ray Harryhausen (Blu-ray)

This box-set by Via Vision, who handle many Sony releases in Oz, contains the 3 Sinbad films as well as Jason and the Argonauts. All 4 are the same transfers put out by Twilight Time and Sony in the US. The two released by Twilight Time in limited edition (Golden Voyage and Eye of the Tiger) sold out in quick time:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/adventure/fantastic-films-of-ray-harryhausen-the/725697/

[N.B. Individual Blu-rays of each title in this set are slated for release here on 6th January 2016]

Gallipoli (Blu-ray)

The impact that this Peter Weir film - starring Mark Lee and Mel Gibson - has had on Australia’s sense of self seems enormous, but it is a beautifully-crafted film that can be enjoyed irrespective of nationality. This Blu-ray was issued to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the conflict. Contains some great interviews with the above-named:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/australian-cinema/gallipoli-commemorative-edition/684790/

The Dead Zone (Blu-ray)

Among my favourite film adaptations of a Stephen King novel and starring Christopher Walken and Martin Sheen – also released here by Via Vision:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/thriller/dead-zone-the/638193/

Sleuth (DVD)

The last film by the great screenwriter/director, Joseph L. Mankiewicz (All About Eve, A Letter to Three Wives, The Ghost and Mrs Muir, Cleopatra...), and starring Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine – all three receiving 1972-73 Oscar nominations for their directing and leading actor roles respectively.

This DVD has been out-of-print for some time in the US and only available through 3rd parties at gouging prices. Reputable Aussie label, Umbrella Entertainment, releases it on DVD today in an all-region format. [If anyone knows of an impending Blu-ray release, I’m interested]

Specs and clip available at Umbrella site:

http://www.umbrellaent.com.au/55/2346-sleuth.html?#search_query=sleuth&results=10

Cheaper to buy from retailer JB-HiFi:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/thriller/sleuth/805707/

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
I sold my TT disc of Golden Voyage for more than it cost me to buy the Aussie Harryhausen set. I was pleasantly surprised that the Oz discs even included the isolated scores for the 2 TT titles even though they were not mentioned on the packaging

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Just got "Sleuth" and on the back cover it says one may have to adjust your tv picture to fit -- even though it says 1:77: 1 aspect ratio, I strongly suspect it may be an open matte version of the movie --

No extras whatsoever (with Umbrella these days you're lucky to get any kind of menu) but it says the movie is in 5.1 stereo -- if so, I look forward to hearing John Addison's great score and the sounds of all those automated toys and dolls echoing around the room.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Sad to say, this version of "Sleuth" is widescreen but not anamorphic and the 5.1 sound sounds like one of those Alfred Hitchcock British movies rechanneled in 5.1 sound (you haven't lived until you've seen and heard "Juno and the Paycock" in 5.1) -- really, it's big fat mono so the US edition from the early 2000s is still the best version although long out of print and going for big bucks these days.

If you really need "Sleuth", get the Umbrella version and with the US/AUS $ exchange rate at the moment, it would be the best version to tide you over until the movie comes out on bluray....and that ever happening will probably be a long, long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks