Blu-ray Review Rango Blu-Ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Neil Middlemiss, Jul 11, 2011.

1. robbbb1138

robbbb1138 Second Unit

Watching the movie today (which I LOVED), I thought it was something that adults would appreciate 100x more than any kid, but I thought the same thing about Fantastic Mr. Fox and my 3-year-old always requests to watch that movie. I didn't think the violence was particularly bad for small kids, but some of the stuff with the villains might be scary.

2. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

I noticed a number of movie references (would you consider the run on the bank an It's a Wonderful Life reference?). My 9 year old shocked me when he yelled out "That's Star Wars!"

3. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I was thinking that was a reference to "It's a Wonderful Life" also, but bank runs were a common thing in the old west so it might not have been intentional at all. I immediately caught on to the whole "Chinatown" reference though.....and was shocked to see that the Clint Eastwood section was done by an imitator. I thought for sure that was Eastwood's voice. I enjoyed the film quite a bit and it was absolutely gorgeous to look at. Bring on more animation of this type (adult....but not adult!!):D

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

5. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Have watched this twice in the last 24 hours. Yes, there are some bodily jokes, and yes, there are several filmic references, but my 13 year-old loved it. He said, "Dad, this is the strangest movie I've seen since Army of Darkness." He loved Army of Darkness, and really liked Rango.

6. Greg_D_R

Greg_D_R Stunt Coordinator

I was surprised at how much I liked Rango. It takes place in a hostile world, but one that's so rich in detail, you want to go there. A kid's movie by way of Hunter S. Thompson, it is a strange little mutt, and one I will revisit.

7. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Nice review Neil. I bought this Blu-ray blindly due to very solid reviews from critics and from being on sale at Best Buy....picked it up today. There's a $5 coupon floating around from Paramount for this as well as Best Buy's $5 off....picked it up for $11 plus tax. Not bad! Looking forward to seeing this..

8. montrealfilmguy

montrealfilmguy Supporting Actor

I'm still wondering why Rango goes mahhh mahhhMMMAAHHHHHHH sometimes, I'm thinking it might be a real actor's trick that Johnny incorporated in it.

9. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    You hit the nail on the head, Ben; it's an exercise to lossen up both the facial muscles and the vocal chords. Also loved the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas reference.

10. montrealfilmguy

Ben walks like a peacock repeating i'm the shitizzle. :D

11. montrealfilmguy

I can't stop gawking at those shots of all the critters turning around to look at Rango entering the saloon. Unfriendly stares of faces parts in deep shadows,parts in glaring sunlight.

12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I thought he was doing Jack Lemon in The Odd Couple.

13. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I was just listening to the commentary and very early they comment that Depp was doing the actor's exercise with a little Felix Unger thrown in. We're both right.:)

14. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Has anyone tried to a access the digital copy on an iMac? I've got the latest release, Lion. I insert the disc and the viewer comes up and there's a menu selection for Digital Copy. When I select that, I get a message indicating I should insert the DVD into my computer's drive to access the digital copy. Well, duh. That's where hit already is. The printed instructions say I should be able to select Transfer to iTunes, but I get no such choice, only the message.

15. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Let me check it out on my wife's Mac tonight and I will let you know...

16. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Thanks, Nel.

17. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I forgot to mention that the digital copy is on the disc with the DVD of the movie. This is the first one I've encountered in which the copy wasn't on it's own disc.

18. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I've got a solution, provided by my Coraline disk (the one with an anaglyph 3D version.) It provided different instructions and they work for Rango. -Insert disc into mac -Quite apple dvd player -Launch iTunes -Double Click on Rango under Devices in left-hand pane -Follow the iTunes instructions This worked for Rango. It is being copied right now. BTW, the first movie I every got the digital copy for was Toy Story 3. I would swear that iTunes said hit was downloading the movie. I've done The Incredibles and Rango today and both say they are copying. One implies that even though I had a disc it was downloaded from the internet while today I am copying from the discs.