What's new

Blu-ray Review Rango Blu-Ray Review (1 Viewer)

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Watching the movie today (which I LOVED), I thought it was something that adults would appreciate 100x more than any kid, but I thought the same thing about Fantastic Mr. Fox and my 3-year-old always requests to watch that movie. I didn't think the violence was particularly bad for small kids, but some of the stuff with the villains might be scary.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I noticed a number of movie references (would you consider the run on the bank an It's a Wonderful Life reference?). My 9 year old shocked me when he yelled out "That's Star Wars!"

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I noticed a number of movie references (would you consider the run on the bank an It's a Wonderful Life reference?). My 9 year old shocked me when he yelled out "That's Star Wars!"
I was thinking that was a reference to "It's a Wonderful Life" also, but bank runs were a common thing in the old west so it might not have been intentional at all. I immediately caught on to the whole "Chinatown" reference though.....and was shocked to see that the Clint Eastwood section was done by an imitator. I thought for sure that was Eastwood's voice. I enjoyed the film quite a bit and it was absolutely gorgeous to look at. Bring on more animation of this type (adult....but not adult!!):D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson

It did sound like Eastwood but right off I recognized Olyphant's voice but then was second guessing myself, it was so darn good.

Fantastic film by the way! Loved it. Easily one of my top favorite animated films.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Have watched this twice in the last 24 hours. Yes, there are some bodily jokes, and yes, there are several filmic references, but my 13 year-old loved it. He said, "Dad, this is the strangest movie I've seen since Army of Darkness." He loved Army of Darkness, and really liked Rango.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
I was surprised at how much I liked Rango. It takes place in a hostile world, but one that's so rich in detail, you want to go there. A kid's movie by way of Hunter S. Thompson, it is a strange little mutt, and one I will revisit.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Nice review Neil. I bought this Blu-ray blindly due to very solid reviews from critics and from being on sale at Best Buy....picked it up today. There's a $5 coupon floating around from Paramount for this as well as Best Buy's $5 off....picked it up for $11 plus tax. Not bad! Looking forward to seeing this..

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I'm still wondering why Rango goes mahhh mahhhMMMAAHHHHHHH sometimes, I'm thinking it might be a real actor's trick that Johnny incorporated in it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
You hit the nail on the head, Ben; it's an exercise to lossen up both the facial muscles and the vocal chords. Also loved the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas reference.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I can't stop gawking at those shots of all the critters turning around to look at Rango entering the saloon. Unfriendly stares of faces parts in deep shadows,parts in glaring sunlight.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
montrealfilmguy said:
I'm still wondering why Rango goes mahhh mahhhMMMAAHHHHHHH sometimes, I'm thinking it might be a real actor's trick that Johnny incorporated in it.
I thought he was doing Jack Lemon in The Odd Couple.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was just listening to the commentary and very early they comment that Depp was doing the actor's exercise with a little Felix Unger thrown in. We're both right.:)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Has anyone tried to a access the digital copy on an iMac? I've got the latest release, Lion. I insert the disc and the viewer comes up and there's a menu selection for Digital Copy. When I select that, I get a message indicating I should insert the DVD into my computer's drive to access the digital copy. Well, duh. That's where hit already is. The printed instructions say I should be able to select Transfer to iTunes, but I get no such choice, only the message.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Let me check it out on my wife's Mac tonight and I will let you know...

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

Has anyone tried to a access the digital copy on an iMac? I've got the latest release, Lion. I insert the disc and the viewer comes up and there's a menu selection for Digital Copy. When I select that, I get a message indicating I should insert the DVD into my computer's drive to access the digital copy.
Well, duh. That's where hit already is. The printed instructions say I should be able to select Transfer to iTunes, but I get no such choice, only the message.
/t/312961/rango-blu-ray-review/30#post_3862425

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I forgot to mention that the digital copy is on the disc with the DVD of the movie. This is the first one I've encountered in which the copy wasn't on it's own disc.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've got a solution, provided by my Coraline disk (the one with an anaglyph 3D version.) It provided different instructions and they work for Rango. -Insert disc into mac -Quite apple dvd player -Launch iTunes -Double Click on Rango under Devices in left-hand pane -Follow the iTunes instructions This worked for Rango. It is being copied right now. BTW, the first movie I every got the digital copy for was Toy Story 3. I would swear that iTunes said hit was downloading the movie. I've done The Incredibles and Rango today and both say they are copying. One implies that even though I had a disc it was downloaded from the internet while today I am copying from the discs.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Rango tonight for the first time. I don't know how or why I never got around to it until tonight after all these years, but it had eluded me until this evening.

While I enjoyed it and thought the look of the film was pretty extraordinary, I did feel it was a little too long. My attention began to drift away a bit about 3/4 of the way through the film. Came back with the discovery of Las Vegas through the end of the film, but there were some touch and go moments where I considered turning it off. I have to say Timothy Olyphant was a particular treat as the Spirit of the West (i.e. Clint Eastwood). Absolutely loved his scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks