What's new

Radio Interference with a 32 (1 Viewer)

Greg Depp

Auditioning
Hi everyone,
I'm new here so if this message is in the wrong place please let me know.
I am having a problem with a new 32" Sony TV I bought last week. In the background very faintly I can hear a local FM radio station coming from the TV. Its just loud enough to drive you crazy. I had a 27" Sony in the same place before, just switched the tvs, but with the 27" there were no problems.
I have the house wired for Direct TV, it runs from the dish to a splitter, then to each room. To get local channels I ran the regular roof antenna wire to the splitter. So I just turn off the dish receiver and change TV channels normally to view my local channels. This worked out perfectly before, but now I suspect I am getting this FM interference from that antenna.
What can I do to get rid of this interference? Is there some sort of filter I can get?
Thanks in advance for your help, please feel free to post here or email me directly whatever is easier for you.
Greg Depp

Westly T

Second Unit
If it is indeed coming from the antenna, you should easily be able to find a FM trap at Radio Shack. Even a hardware or TV electronics store most likely would have it.
------------------
- Wes
My Home Theater
The MMG were replaced with 1.6QR's and added Marantz MA-700's. SVS is here. Ok, allot more then that has changed, I'll update my page some day...

Greg Depp

Auditioning
Well I got a FM trap from Radio Shack and put it in, doesn't seem to affect the noise at all. Anyone have another suggestion?
Thanks,
Greg

Westly T

Second Unit
Did you try disconnecting the antenna completely to see if you still get the interference? If you do, it's most likely not the antenna, but perhaps the new TV. Did you buy it locally? You may want to exchange it, perhaps something in it just happens to pick up that station (like some peoples fillings, yes fillings in teeth, pick up radio broadcasts on rare occasion). Hopefully it's not something this model is susceptible to.
Just an interesting story:
My step mom used to live right next to a shortwave radio station many years ago. She said you could hear it on her stereo speakers even when they weren't connected to the stereo!
------------------
- Wes
My Home Theater
The MMG were replaced with 1.6QR's and added Marantz MA-700's. SVS is here. Ok, allot more then that has changed, I'll update my page some day...

Greg Depp

Auditioning
I have no idea why that didn't occur to me, but no i have not yet checked to see if disconnecting the wire would eliminate the noise. Stupid, you would have thought that would be the first thing I would check.
Yeah, that filling thing is why I think this is wierd, because none of the other TVs in the house have this problem, and the 27" that was in the same place as the 32" is now had no problems either.
I'll play with it and see what happens soon.
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks