What's new

Radeon 8500 core speed..can I change it? (1 Viewer)

Greg Warner

Auditioning
I have just purchased from Newegg.com ( OEM )the Radeon 8500. The 8500 from Newegg ships with a core speed of 230MHz. The ATI site says the 8500 ships to retailers at 275MHz. Is this something I can change? Also, what is the best dvd player to use with the 8500?

Thanks

Greg

JohanK

Second Unit
You can change core and memory with PowerStrip. RivaTuner would work as well. Both are downloadable though PowerStrip is a demo version.

Greg Warner

Auditioning
Thanks Johan,

I am new at this so....how? I was reading some posts on ATI's site and they were talking of "flashing the bios" for the 8500 to get the clock speed up. I was under the impression that power strip was for forcing custom resolutions.

Thanks

Greg

JohanK

Second Unit
PowerStrip also allows one to overclock besides designing custom resolutions; I used to use it for OCing but now use RivaTuner which is simple to use. All I did was download and install it; then clicked on low level OCing and manipulated settings (I only OC my gf2 mx400 on my regular PC).

Haven't checked into OCing the 8500 (I only have the Radeon VIVO card which I don't OC) but flashing the bios would work if the bios allows one to enter it and then manipulate settings (the same as if one is OCing a CPU).

Hope this helps.

Hugh M

Second Unit
you only need to worry about clock speed for gaming purposes. powerstrip will allow you to do this in the "performance profiles" section..
good site for that would probably be www.rage3d.com or the forums at www.madonion.com .
as far as DVD playback is concerned. what OS are you using?
and what display are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks