What's new

R.I.P. Topol (Tevye in Fiddler On the Roof) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Topol, who is best known for playing Tevye in the film version of Fiddler On the Roof, has died at age 87.

His work as Tevye will live on long past anyone reading this post. May he Rest In Peace.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wonder if he will be able to be acknowledged in the In Memoriam segment at the Oscars on Sunday. He certainly should qualify to be included there, but I imagine the clip package has already been edited at this point. It seems like there is always someone who passes away within a few days of the ceremony.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I have seen the film of Fiddler many, many times and am always deeply moved by it.
The performance of Topol is towering in my view.
We had the pleasure of seeing Topol live in Fiddler in an excellent Australian production in the late 1990’s. Goodness knows how many performances he had given by then but from his first movement on stage (which opened the production) to the curtain falling at the conclusion of the performance he performed as if it were opening night.
I admire several of his performances particularly Before Winter Comes but his Tevye is a performance for the ages.
RIP, Sir.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Topol with Roger Moore in For Your Eyes Only. R.I.P.
AAA TOPOL 007.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I enjoyed him in everything I ever saw him in. A fine actor. The soundtrack of Fiddler on the Roof is my go-to CD when I want to hear songs from the show. Only a few other soundtracks in my mind have replaced their Broadway counterparts to become the definitive listen for a score. Fiddler is one of them.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
He was a great presence in everything he was in. Of course, he will be remembered for Fiddler, Flash Gordon (he seemed to have a lot of fun with that role), and For Your Eyes Only. I'd also suggest The Winds of War and War & Remembrance. He was terrific as the Auschwitz prisoner who escapes to join the Czech underground in Prague. He's been called the moral center of the series. It's an essential performance.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I always enjoyed him as well. He was one of those guys like Anthony Quinn who could play many diverse ethnicities. I hoped one day he'd play Joseph Stalin, as he was a dead ringer for him.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
"Fiddler" is being broadcast this Sunday or late Saturday at 12:45 AM EST/ 9:45 PM PST on TCM.

As the host intros are done in advance I expect there will just be a card acknowledging the passing. Set your DVRs.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I enjoyed his performance in the little-seen Private Eye, directed by Carol Reed, and starring Mia Farrow.
RIP.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I was born in 1974, and knew Topol primarily from his high energy performance in Flash Gordon and his burned-into-my-memory role as Columbo in For Your Eyes Only, my first James Bond film (seen many times as an impressionable youth thanks to HBO). Whenever I have chanced upon either film in the past two decades, I wondered why I hadn't seen a lot more of this irrepressibly charismatic man, larger than life, and clearly filled with generosity of spirit. When I finally looked up why (literally just a few weeks back), it was because he had bigger things to do than just keep appearing in movies.

RIP

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Topol was actually at a Fourth Of July party at Cubby Broccoli's home. Dana Broccoli was sitting next to Topol and just stated to Cubby, " why don't we cast him as Columbo" and the deal was sealed right there! Interesting that Follow Me with Mia Farrow and Topol had the title of Private Eye in other countries. Very good score by John Barry for that film also. I acutally saw the film at its very limited time of release.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Topol was actually at a Fourth Of July party at Cubby Broccoli's home. Dana Broccoli was sitting next to Topol and just stated to Cubby, " why don't we cast him as Columbo" and the deal was sealed right there! Interesting that Follow Me with Mia Farrow and Topol had the title of Private Eye in other countries. Very good score by John Barry for that film also. I acutally saw the film at its very limited time of release.

Isn't it "The Public Eye"?

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Pete,
that's the British title (The Public Eye, not the Private Eyes with Don Knotts) I remember, but after reading the above comment, thought maybe like Italian Giallos had many different titles. The Public Eye was also the name of the play the film was based on.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Here's the scene from Notting Hill where Topol is referenced... the relevant conversation begins at about 0:35.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks