What's new

Quick, basic question about DTS 24/96 (1 Viewer)

I'm considering getting the NAD T773 receiver and have found that it does not have DTS 24/96. What exactly is this and how badly do I need it on my new receiver-to-be?

The NAD has an RS 232 port for future upgrades. Is this DTS 24/96 something I may be able to get upgraded to via the RS 232 port?

Sorry but I am quite new to this. Thanks for any help.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Darren,
Since no one else has replied, I will take a stab at it...

dts 24/96 is just another format for surround. I believe it's the same as dts, but the sampling is 96 kHz instead of 48 kHz. If your receiver does not decode dts 24/96, you will just get regular dts (in other words, it's backward compatible).

I don't think dts 24/96 is too common (yet); I've only seen it on a couple of special edition DVDs (like Lord of the Rings), but then again, I haven't been buying a lot of DVDs lately.

As for upgrading your NAD in the future, I don't know a thing about that.

Anyone: please correct me if I've misspoken.

--Nathan

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Don't worry about it. DTS 96/24 is an attempt to get high resolution music that is backwards compatable with all regular DVD players and DTS decoders. There are very few titles with 96/24, and with SACD and DVD-A I don't think 96/24 will be around for long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks