What's new

Question re: Sony 57HW40 (1 Viewer)

ChristianS

Grip
I was at a Sony Outlet Store over the weekend and saw a KP57HW40 for an excellent price (~$1300 out the door with a 2 year in-home warranty). I have tried to read up about the unit, but wanted to ask for anyone's opinion. I have been looking at the Sony and Toshiba RPTVs but have come to an impasse. The price of the 57HW40 seemed to be quite a good price, but I wanted to know if I could do better with a budget of around $1300 - $1400. I know that the 57HW40 is an older model without DVI, but I really liked the look and picture. Are there any issues with this model that I should be aware of (I already know about the flicker issue)? Also, my room is approximately 12' x 14', but configured in such a way that a 65" tv is out of the question. Thanks for your help and advice!!!

Chris

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've had one for almost 3 years. It's an early production model (AUG 01, I think) so did not develope the flicker problem. Did an AVIA calibration and a few minor things in the service menu, as well as a manual convergence touchup 5 months ago. The service menu and convergence procedures are the same as for the later WS500 and 510 models so there's lots of good info out there.

It's seen about 40 hours a week of use since I got it in early October of 01 and other than one crt lens cleaning (half hour diy project) due to dust buildup have never had a single problem with it.

I would still have some reservations about purchasing a floor model rptv, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks