Question: Monster Power & Cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by AntonyRossi, Nov 24, 2010.

1. AntonyRossi

AntonyRossi Auditioning

I'm helping my dad with his next Home Theater purchase and I want to know what people recommend when buying from Monster Power. The last home theater he bought was in 2003 (just around the time when Steve Bartman caught the foul ball which probably cost the Cubs the National Championship League Series). Back then along with our HDTV we bought a Monster Power box and several high-end cables from Monster Cable including fiber optic cables and THX cables.

Anyway my dad is buying a new 55" Samsung LED HDTV and I need advice on the Monster Power box and cables to purchase. I'm uninformed about what we should be buying and I want your recommendations. I know for certain that we're getting a good price because of my dad's store membership. He's already buying a HDTV and a Blu-Ray player w/ Internet capability (built-in Wifi). We have an Ethernet port which we may or may not use as well as our already existing AT&T U-Verse box.

What Monster Power box do you recommend and what high-quality cables should we be looking for?

EDIT: He also plans to purchase a surround sound system sometime in the future. Costs aren't a huge deal because of his membership.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    We don't recommend any Monster products. Cables from Monoprice.

Any reason you need a power conditioner? Are you not getting a 60hz sine wave from the power company?

3. AntonyRossi

AntonyRossi Auditioning

Well, like I said, the last home theater purchase was over 7 years ago. I'm somewhat uninformed about home theater systems today. The Monster Power box/surge-protector was definitely more necessary last time because the television was a DLP Projector. Some of the Monster products have some Green mode that shuts off the television automatically if its in stand-by, but that seems so unnecessary since we don't leave the TV on and because its an LED which is already more energy efficient.

Anyway, I don't know, give me your recommendations. Also we're getting really good deals on Monster products because of his store membership so if your concern about Monster products is their price, well, then that wouldn't be an issue.

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Check out monoprice.com for cables. Even with a "deal" on monster, I'll bet that monoprice is cheaper.

5. AntonyRossi

AntonyRossi Auditioning

Ok, I'll check monoprice, but could we get back to the Monster Power box/surge-protector?

Also, apparently HDMI is lossless, so any HDMI cable has the same quality. However, what's the difference between HDMI 1.4 and previous versions? Also HDMI cables have transfer speeds ranging from ~10.9 Gbps to ~21 Gbps; how important is it?

6. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam

I think power filtering is overrated unless you have a lot of brownouts, but a high quality surge protector is a good thing. Personally I prefer Panamax/Furman, but if you get great deals on Monster Power products, getting one of their power bars for surge purposes wouldn't be a bad idea.

HDMI 1.4 is the current version of the HDMI spec. It adds the ability for 3D, Ethernet and an audio return channel. Monster is the only one using speed ratings. A lot of members swear by monoprice, I swear by http://Bluejeanscable.com Their prices are very competitive with monoprice, but I like the fact that you can call and talk to the owner, and they know a lot about cable. They have a great section on their site that discusses HDMI in depth including this bit about speed rating: