What's new

Question for Sony DA4ES owners--manufacturer/specs issues (1 Viewer)

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
I just got my Sony DA4ES and while giving the unit and owner's manual a glance or three, I noticed some "odd" things that sorta stood out:
1--The owner's manual (including the separate one for the remote control) had a "GB" next to each and every page number, which I assume stands for "Great Britain". Any other U.S. DA4ES owners have manuals similarly marked?
2--Continuing further on the "GB" theme, the dimensions and weight (mass) for the unit in my copy of the owner's manual are given solely in metric units (mm and kg). Given this finding and the one in #1 above, is there a "US" version of the DA4ES/7ES manual that gives the specs in U.S units (inches and lbs), and if so, did I get a non-U.S. spec DA4ES? FWIW, the instructions use all American English words, i.e., no British-spelling words, and the AC voltage stated in the manual and on the back of the unit is given as 120V/60 Hz, so I think I'm pretty safe here, but I'm curious nevertheless.
3--Comparing the back panel of my DA4ES with a similar photo of it on Crutchfield's web site, I noticed the following differences: power consumption in the Crutchfield photo is shown as being 500w, whereas on mine it's given as 420w; also, the Crutchfield photo does not show the "UL" logo (just the outline of the circle), whereas mine of course has the complete "UL" logo. Is/was the version shown in the Crutchfield photo a preliminary release model, and what are/would be the advantages and disadvantages of the difference in power consumption?
And...are all DA4ES made in Malaysia? Mine was; also note that the Crutchfield photo has a yellow sticker which conveniently covers that part of the area where the manufacturing location would be found.
Finally, I would like to mention that I bought my unit from onecall.com paid $699 + $25 shipping, placed my order on 10/7, got it on 10/9, double-boxed and packed in popcorn. Heck, $25 for two-day shipping on a somewhat heavy product like the DA4ES--technically, it shipped on 10/8 according to FedEx tracking, so it was practically next-day shipping--is that a deal or what? And what's gonna be even sweeter is that since I purchased it with my AMEX card, I can price-match against the lowest legitimate price (currently at $637) using BVG. And no, I haven't been able to fire it up since I'm still waiting on some speakers (JBL S38, S26II, S-Center, SVS 25-31 PC+)...
Sorry if I rambled on too long but I got the HT bug; been wanting to start on it for a long time but had to wait until I bought a house and also find a way to justify such a large monetary purchase to my financial officer, aka my wife...:D

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
...bump...

Anyone out there besides me who owns one of these and is willing to address the issues I pointed out in this thread? I'm especially curious about the power supply rating of the DA4ES being shown as 500w in the Crutchfield photo whereas my 4ES back panel shows 420w...

JackS

Supporting Actor
Tony- Just guessing, but probably a pre-production photo and an estimate by Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks