What's new

Question for fellow Kurosawa fans (1 Viewer)

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I was ordering my Blu-ray of Ran, and I got to thinking.. I always tell people how pretty much all the common themes in films today boil down to Kurosawa films..

Ie. Story told from several different perspectives? Rashomon. Villiage saved by wandering hero(es)? Seven Samurai. Rogue plays 2 sides against each other, gets beat up/banished, has crisis of concience, returns to save day? Yojimbo, etc, etc. From Sci-fi to Westerns, the plots all have those common denominators..

But I wonder.. Was he really the originator, or was HE himself drawing on themes from film or literature?

Obviously Ran was an interpretation of W.S's King Lear, but can anyone cite other examples?

Thanks for any and all replies!

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Some examples of literary material used by Kurosawa:

Throne of Blood - Macbeth, Shakespeare

High and Low - King´s Ransom, Ed McBain

The Idiot - The Idiot, Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Lower Depths - The Lower Depths, play by Maxim Gorky

Rashomon - In the Grove, short story by Ryonosuke Akutagawa

Dersu Uzala - novel by Vladimir Arsenyev

Many Kurosawa films are based on Japanese novels or short stories that are not very well known outside Japan. Check the listings on www.imdb.com for each Kurosawa film to get titles/authors for each text. Then search on Amazon or Google.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks