What's new

Question about hooking up pre/pro and amps (1 Viewer)

carlos f

Grip
I have a sony es 30 and a rotel rmb 1066 amp.

the amp is bridged (3 x 150) to power my front

soundstage.

i'm about to get the rotel rsp 1066 and a

rb 1070 (2 x 130).

question is: should i use the 1070 to power the rears

or use it to power the front L and R and use the rmb 1066

to power the center and rears.

i talked to 2 salesguys in store and they didn't agree on setup.

any thoughts on which would sound better and why?

speakers are HTD Level 3.

thanks.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Carlos,

You may hate this answer, but it'd be best to try it yourself and see--shouldn't be that hard to do--usually it's just a bit of cable swapping.

I've got equivalent 2chn & 3chn amps, and use the 2chn to power the front, the 3chn to power the center and rears. My thought is that the rears don't take much power, thus there's a lot of reserve for the third channel which the center may actually make use of.

But it looks like your amps are not exact equivalents--so I'd recommend trying and hearing.

Regards,

Mike

Harold_C

Stunt Coordinator
No question about it.

Use the RB-1070 to drive the front speakers and the RMB-1066 to drive the center and surrounds. A bridged amplifier never sounds as good, or has as much headroom as an amplifier running unbridged. Driving all channels bridged on the RMB-1066 will definitely be giving it a workout. Since the surrounds, on average, place fewer demands on the RMB-1066, this will help offset some of the disadvantages of bridging.

You'd have to answer this for yourself as far as the dollars go, but rather than buying the RB-1070, you might see what it would cost to trade in the RMB-1066 on the RMB-1075 (5 x 120 watts). That would be the best way to go, because it would avoid the issue of bridging altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks