Queer as Folk Price Drop

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dorrie_W, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Dorrie_W

Dorrie_W Stunt Coordinator

The article at Tvshowsondvd.com today mentioned the price of Queer as Folk Season 1 dropping from 119-$49. Moderators feel free to collapes this with the "why are some sets high thread" I didn't read that thread but this is specifically about Queer and Showtime series. I cannot imagine why the Showtime 1 hour series are so dog gone expensive. I am sure the high price of Soul Food guranteed we may never see future seasons. QAF Season 4 was sky high and in a huge box. Were we paying for the box? I know Universal is the king of the dual sided discs so there sets are cheaper. But even look at Moonlighting, that is a 1 hour series.

Why is Queer As Folk and the other Showtime series so high? I really, really, don't get it.

2. Ron Morgan

Ron Morgan Agent

Does anyone know if the price drop comes with a packaging change? I much prefer the packaging on S1-3 to S4. I only have season 1 and if they are going to reconfigure the packaging I would much prefer to pick up S2 & 3 before any potential changes.

Well, just found the answer on another thread. Looks like it's time to start shopping for S2 & 3...

3. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

honestly, you'd rather pay out the wazoo for better packaging than be able to get the same thing for less than $40? If a show is dropped over 60% in price, I'll get the cheaper version no matter what. QAF was frankly too expensive, they're dropping the price so you no longer have to part with $90+

4. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

makes me wonder if HBO is next with dropping the prices. Some of their shows I wouldn't mind having but you cannot justify Six Feet Under's price to me considering the short number of episodes per year.

5. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I'd want to double check, but the last time I was in Sam's, all SatC sets were priced $19.99.

6. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

that's cool, I was never too offended by SatC's prices because they never retailed over $50 and I never paid more than $30 for them, but I do think that season 5 should've retailed a tad bit cheaper. It's basically shows like Sopranos, Carnivale, Six Feet Under, etc... I find too expensive because under $50 is reasonable for a DVD, but HBO wants too much for the hour-long shows.

7. Ron Morgan

Ron Morgan Agent

Generally, no, but in this case I like the original packaging enough to. If only I could find S2 & 3 used as I did the first set. With a few trade-ins I got S1 for $35.

8. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    ^ I have major problems with the first three season sets package-wise. The little door that swings open is getting awful worn out on season 1, with me going through the set at least twice, lending it to a friend and now going through it again with my BF. I'd MUCH rather the keepcases/slimcases over the custom packaging.

9. Roni F

Roni F Stunt Coordinator

I just wanted to remind everyone that QAF Season 3 is now available at the new reduced price! I just ordered mine from Deep Discount DVD for $30.25.

If anyone has the new S3, I'd like to know what the packaging is like.