What's new

PSP 2.0 Update released- Web Browser, AAC support and more! Woo! (1 Viewer)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Finally, Sony has released the first major update for the PSP.

You can download it using the system update on your PSP, or head on over to this site:

Playstation.com

Among the new features and changes:

Network
+ An internet browser has been added

Video

+ 4:3 screen mode has been added (for video saved on Memory Stick Duo media).
+ Go To feature has been added (for UMD Video and UMD Music).
+ A-B Repeat feature has been added (for UMD Video, UMD Music and video saved on Memory Stick Duo media).
+ Audio options have been added (for video saved on Memory Stick Duo media).
+ MP4 (AVC) has been added as a playable file format (for video saved on Memory Stick Duo media).

Music

+ The combination of SonicStage version 3.2 (or later) and PSP system software 2.0 (or later) has made it possible for music files in ATRAC3 plus format to be transferred to a Memory Stock PRO Duo.
+ MP4 (the audio codec for MP4 format audio files is MPEG-4 AAC) and WAV (Linear PCM) have been added as playable file formats (for music saved on Memory Stick Duo media).

Photo

+ Wallpaper feature has been added.
+ Image transfer feature has been added.
+ TIFF, GIF, PNG and BMP have been added as viewable file formats.

Settings

+ Korean has been added as a system language in [System Settings].
+ [Character Set] has been added in [System Settings].
+ [Theme Settings] has been added.
+ [Internet Browser Start Control] has been added as a security mode in [Security Settings].
+ WPA-PSK (TKIP) has been added as a security mode in [Network Settings].
+ Web address shortcut feature has been added as an input mode for the on-screen keyboard.

Fixes
+ UMD Music now appears under the Music icon
+ The PSP will remember your place during sleep mode on UMD Music and Video, as well as Memory Stick music. Also, your video display settings will be retained.

Note that by upgrading you can no longer run 1.50 homebrews such as emulators, etc. Worth the trade if you ask me.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
The wallpaper function is really, really awesome...I think Im having way too much fun picking out a new theme daily. :D

RichardK

Second Unit
Regarding the huff over 2.0 disabling the homebrew stuff, I'm not worried about that. I would be very surprised if those who developed the 1.5v 'hacks' dont do the same for 2.0. It's only a matter of time.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Count me out (for now). I enjoy the homebrew apps (especially the emulators) and I can replace the backgrounds with wallpaper via PSPersonalize. The browser might be fun to play with, but it has limited or no support for advanced features such as Flash and some video codecs (maybe later?). Now, if I had a second PSP....;)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I just downloaded the update and am using it to write this message. This is a nice BASIC browser for surfing but I'd hate to use it for text entry unless I was stranded on a desert island! :) (It took over ten minutes to write this reply)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Yeah I'm one of the ones that is NOT upgrading.

I have 1.5 And I want to be able to play old games on my psp.
Plus I already have a background emu.
and some of the video features(such as go to)

I already have
Gameboy/Gameboy color
Atari Lynx
SNES
NES
Sega Genesis

I want to be able to keep these!

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Problem is, with every incremental upgrade (e.g. v1.51 to 1.52), hackers were facing increasing challenges cracking the security updates; firmware downgrades helped in addressing their inability to run homebrew and EMU apps. To my knowledge, most of these apps do not run on any firmware higher than 1.50, and probably won't for the forseeable future because the majority of these EMU/homebrew developers aren't investing the time and/or effort to make them run with higher firmware versions. Sony has been doing a good job closing security loopholes, which will be welcome news for some, infuriating for others.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
will new PSPs be shipping with this firmware? i ask, because the ONLY reason i will buy a psp is emulation. would it be possible to flash back to 1.5? i'm thinking about buying a PSP soon, but only if i can run nes, snes, genesis, and a few other major systems with minimal problems.

CJ

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
reports are that the 2.0 is already hacked for emus

AND!!!!

according to psphome.com
on Sept 1st you WILL be able to DOWNGRADE!!

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
I just missed out on an opportunity to participate in beta testing for SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs: Fireteam Bravo because it requires a 2.00 firmware upgrade, but I'm standing by 1.50 as long as I can. It might be inevitable for games such as Burnout Legends, but my homebrews and EMUs take precedence. Must....stay....strong....:D

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
If Burnout Legends has a needed upgrade like Namco Museum(where you need 1.52) there is a patch where it tricks your psp thinking it already has an upgrade.

I have a thread started in software section about it.

It works great, and I've been playing Namco's Museum with no problems and not having to upgrade to 1.52!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i hope the hacked 2.0 news is true. i can understand their concern for a secure firmware, but sony is making it very difficult for me to hand them money for a PSP :)

CJ

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i picked up a used v1.5 psp off a friend of mine who never really used it. i put a few emulators on there, and the ones i got to work ran pretty well. i havent spent too much time yet, but it's already quickly replacing my ipod as my favorite comsumer electronics piece. some of the emulators are clunky, but i like nesterj a lot. i just wish sony was more open with their hardware, this machine could be a homebrew lover's dream.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks