What's new

PS games on PS2, memory card problems (1 Viewer)

My son is playing the Digimon World game for Playstation on his Playstation 2 and the game will not recognize the memory card in the PS2. The screen that comes up at the start shows Memory slot 1, Memory slot 2, and no memory but the Mem slot1 & 2 are greyed out and cannot be selected.
Is this an issue with PS games being played on the PS2. I have tried different memory cards and the memory cards work fine on other PS2 games.
Any ideas? TIA

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
Well I saved my PS gray memory card and to access it's memory I have to have the card in slot 2 and the controller in slot 1. I was just playing Metal Gear Solid last night and that's how mine worked. Hope this helps.
John

Is that your PS1 memory card in slot 1 of your PS2 and your controller in controller slot 2 of your PS2?
Thanks.

Ignore my above post.
I have put my PS2 memory card in slot 2 and I have my controller in controller slot 1 of the PS2 and it still won't recognize it.
Do you think I have to have a PS1 memory card for it to work?

Jay Rodriguez

Stunt Coordinator
this same thing happened to me. I have to save my PS1 data on a PS1 memory card. All the PS2 data gets saved on a PS2 memory card. This isn't really a problem for me, because the PS2 will recognize a PS1 memory card, but you have to be playing a game designed for the PS1. Does any of that make sense?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
You will need to use a PS1 memory card. At least that is how it has worked on the PS1 games I've tried.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Just to clear this up... This is official.
PS2 games on a PS2 require a PS2 memory card.
PSX games on a PS2 require a PSX memory card - PSX games (running on a PS2) are NOT able to save to a PS2 memory card.
You can 'backup' PSX saves onto a PS2 memory card for storage - but games will not be able to access them directly, you'll need to copy them back to a PSX card.
Basically, if you want to play PSX games on a PS2, you'll need a PSX memory card to save progress.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

I went out and bought a PS1 memory card and now the PS1 games recognize it.
Is this due to formatting differences between the cards?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks