Proper way to shut off Gamecube

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Steve_J, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Steve_J

Steve_J Agent

Could anyone tell me the proper way to turn off the Gamecube when you are done playing? Should you reset it and then just open it and take the disc out then power down? Is there a standby mode? Thanks for any help.

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

well... it has a disc brake that stops the disc from spinning when you open the cover. The proper way, according to the manual... is to open the cover, take out the disc, then turn off the power. If you turn off the power than open the top, the disc would still be spinning [​IMG]
    well, that is how I do it
    ...um, I hope you got all that... Dreamcast was the same way [​IMG]

3. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

euh what's the proper way to turn off PS2?

it's like I'm hurting the game I just have to turn the machine off to stop it?

I really don't like how PS2's power is at back of machine..why not make it a button up front?

4. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

If you press and hold the green button on PS2 for like, 2 seconds, the light will turn red. I guess its more of a standby mode then actually powering off, but its just as good.

JQ

5. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

These power down threads are bizzare.

Reminds me of people who had a system for shutting down their old computers. Monitor first, then disk drive, then computer, any other way will damage the machine

6. elMalloc

...I still do that...

OH HAR!

7. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I certainly remember hard drive 'parking'. [​IMG]

8. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

9. Steve_J

Steve_J Agent

I am able to off my console, but I would like to do it in the best way possible to preserve my console and my games. For example, if you leave a disc in your PS2 with the power off the disc can and does get scratched. Likewise, if you turn off the PS2 every time you are done playing it shortens the life of the power supply. I'd like to learn any such precautions I should take on my Gamecube. Thanks for comments though.

10. elMalloc

Don't bother with camp's comments, he probably thinks he can do everything in life himself and never has to ask for someone's help.

Remember camp, something you ask for help for probably seems simplistic to someone else - and they would say the exact same thing to you.

-ELmO

11. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

12. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Disc Gnomes

13. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

14. elMalloc

Wow, you're being a hypocrite there Camp. Does anyone like you on this forum? You really don't have to reply, everyone knows the answer. [​IMG]

15. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Camp, there's no need for that kind of language. elMalloc, it's apreciated that any issue you wish to take up with another member is taken up in private. There is no need for your last post.

Honestly, two days into 2002 and already the Gaming Forum is seeing arguments amongts members. Cool off, everyone!

Dan (UK)

16. elMalloc

Whoever takes more damage, it's him - he 'started' it. This is the first time someone told me to take it private, but him instigating it? That's an obvious attack on his part.

17. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

18. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

Graeme's comment (Disc Gnomes) was a direct reply to Craig S asking "Eh? How is this possible?? What would be causing the disc to be scratched?"

And i'm curious as to how this could happen as well. I mean there's no physical touching of the disc as it's spinning so what could cause scratching?

if it could cause scratching wouldn't the disc be getting scratched as you played as well?

19. Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza Stunt Coordinator

Okay, so what's the "correct" way to switch to a different game on Gamecube. Do you just open the hatch, switch the game, and hit the reset? Or do you power off, switch the game, and power on?

I've RTFM, and it does not addresss switching between games.

20. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

When I switch games, I open it up, switch discs, then hit reset. To power off, I usually just shut the power off and leave the game in there. It's not going to get scratched since nothing touches the disc except for a beam of light...