What's new

Problems with I Love Lucy - Season 4 "See Post #44" (1 Viewer)

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
I first remember watching "I Love Lucy" in the late Fifties. I guess the episodes I saw then were already reruns, since the heart credits were used.

I also remember seeing a few genuine, roadside Burma Shave signs from the same era.

I can't imagine anyone who experienced both of these cultural icons not finding great humor in the omitted Burma Shave gag mentioned several posts above. Everyone at the time wouldn't have even had to think twice to know what the next words were. What a perfect tidbit of Lucy characterization.

I would think that kind of omission should be fixed and an exchange done for owners of DVDs with the omissions.

Does anyone know if there is any serious consideration by the powers that be for such a fix?

DG

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

I think if there were, we'd know about it by now. I don't expect this to be fixed. I do expect some day for everything to come out again -- and again and again -- in new formats (blu-ray, HDTV, holographic DVDs, etc etc etc) so maybe they'll get Season Four right on the next go-round.

They'd like nothing better than for us to buy these things over and over again, anyway ..........

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The same fade out problem happens in the episode when Lucy gives birth. Take a look at the Special Footage section of this episode, then watch the actual episode. The fade out is a little early. I wonder if this has something to do with restoring the contrast?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I called Paramount last week about The Brady Bunch and was told the lady that handles requests was on vacation and to leave a voice mail.

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
I called the number too and received the answering machine message but have not been called back yet.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
watched a great doc. on Lucy on PBS tonite and now I'm interested in getting the sets. This thread just stopped... What was the outcome re: replacement discs?

Thanks! D

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
This news strikes me funny. I wonder if Paramount just doesn't want to redo those three episodes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If Paramount didn't want to bother to correct those episode, Oppenheimer would have said "I found the footage and hopefully Paramount will soon issue a corrected disc". Then Paramount would have done nothing at all. Why would Oppenhemier (who is essentially preserving his father's legacy) lie about the footage being in bad shape?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I tried calling the number mentioned at tvshowsondvd.com and just got a message saying the box was full and to try again later.

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

I don't have the DVD's, but what I don't understand is why would Desilu cut anything from the original master tapes at all in the first run of the syndicated broadcasts? In the late 50's-60's shows ran in their uncut form at least 25-27 minutes. Were Season 4 episodes slightly longer than previous seasons where Desilu had to make the cuts to accomodate one more commercial or two?

Jack

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
If I remember correctly, if there were repeats from a previous season being rebroadcast during a new story arc they would have short new "remember when..." introductions filmed and tagged on. This happened at least once during the Hollywood shows. Sometimes they might add promotional blurbs for movies, or even just a holiday greeting. That might also mean an edit.

I'm sure there are folks here who can more easily provide better details on the many changes made during the first network runs of the series.

One should remember that the "powers that be" back then were just making everyday business decisions with these changes - they had no clue about how the series was going to live on in future broadcasts or home video releases. ;)

geallen

Auditioning
Somebody must have cleaned out the voice mailbox, because I was finally now able to leave a message.

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
Just got a call from Paramount about this replacement disc offer. Here's what you do:

1. Write a letter that you want the replacement discs for I Love Lucy season 4. Also, include your contact information, specifically your mailing address so they can send the replacement disks to you.

2. Extract the I Love Lucy proof of purchase tab located inside the spine of the box. The guy who called me said to open the spine on the outside of the box to find it. He assured me that this would not destroy the box at all and it didn't on mine.

3. Including the letter & proof of purchase, mail to:

Jason Ickovite
Product Manager Marketing
Paramount Home Entertainment
5555 Melrose Ave
Bluhdorn 240
Hollywood, CA 90038

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know when the next pressing will be on store shelves with the corrected discs?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
First of all, BRAVO to Paramount for agreeing to
do this. It really goes a long way in saying how
consumer-aware and responsive that studio is.

Question....

Where is the proof of purchase inside the box? I see
a UPC code on the bottom of the outside of the box, but
upon emptying my 5 CD cases of LUCY from the box, I
see no proof of purchase inside.

...and they don't want any of these discs returned
that they are replacing?

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
The proof of purchase is not visible from the outside of the box. Look at the outside spine of the box. It's the one that says "I Love Lucy" in the middle, has the CBS logo on the top under "Season 4", and has the Paramount logo at the bottom. Look to the left of the spine and you will see that the spine can be opened up. Once you open the spine, you will see the proof of purchase connected to one of the box tabs. You should not have to damage any part of the box to get to the proof of purchase, though opening the spine can be tricky.

Also, I asked the Paramount representitive if they wanted me to send the discs too and he said no.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Thanks, Nick. I also found the proof of purchase tab. You're right about it being tricky. I found the best way for me to open the spine without damaging or bending the cardboard, is: I slid a thin flat ruler( a nail file or letter opener might work just as well) inbetween the cardboard folds (one end at a time) and gently lifted it up. It popped right open with no damage.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Yup, I'd rather wait as well, especially since I haven't finished Season One yet... ANy word from Paramount on when to expect this to be out?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks