What's new

Possible new widespread defect in Sony HS10/XBR10W RPTVs? (1 Viewer)

Mike Emery

Auditioning
I'm begging other owners to check their set for THIS defect; I'll describe it as best I can:
As overall picture brightness goes down, shadow areas get "squashed" to black, and each CRT has a different "response," so there is also a false color edge created.
Test patterns which reveals it well are the AVIA "black bars with log steps" and "needle pulse with steps" patterns. If you run the user brightness (black level) control through it's low rangeto minimum you may actually see the left edges of the lower-level log steps progressively squashed into the black background, creating a sort of “stairstep” edge instead of the straight edge created by what should remain identically-sized grey patches. On my set, the red CRT seems to squash first, so a false cyan edge is also created.
Another pattern which reveals the effect is the AVIA sharpness pattern; specifically the insert box at the upper right of the screen, black with white lines of increasing width. The most narrow white lines shift to cyan then green as average brightness falls. Again, the "real life" viewing implication is that similar picture content content will take on a false cyan or green color cast in what should be white highlights; this phenomena has the effect of destroying shadow detail as well as giving scenes with low overall brightness AND numerous high-contrast vertical transitions an overall false cyan or green color cast.
My white and black levels have been properly set using AVIA.
I have been able to induce this behavior in three different HS10 floor models as well as my own, and two XBR10W floor models and my own 65XBR10W... It IS repeatable on multiple machines.
So, anybody else seeing this? I'm trying to determine the prevalence of the issue.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks