What's new

Pondering a new video card. (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
As some of you may know, my old motherboard died, so I had to upgrade some of my hardware. I ended up with an ASUS A7N266-VM, an Athlon XP 1700+, and 256 megs of ram.

My current video card is an old GeForce 2 GTS... I've been pondering upgrading to a new card, though I dont really want to spend that much money (I should probably spend $0 ;))... so I cant afford the Radeon 9700 Pro unfortunately :frowning:... I honestly haven't played many PC games recently, but I'm thinking about getting Splinter Cell when it's released on the PC... I tried out the demo on an xbox at wal-mart, and was very impressed.

How about the Radeon 9000 or the 9100? $100 or so seems like a good price... is there a place I can get one of these that also ships via the postal service?

Also, who has good prices on DDR RAM? I have 256 megs of Crucial ram now, but since I do a lot of digital photography, and use Photoshop, 512 might be nice.

Brian

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
That's a good motherboard. Very reliable. Not the fastest, but what is 4% performance difference mean anyways? Nothing!

How about the Radeon 9500? It's cheaper than the 9700, but good enough to play today's games.

If/when you get another stick of DDR-RAM, make sure it is identical to the one you've got now. That will maximize your PC's stability.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Max: Yeah, the board got a lot of good reviews at newegg, and it was cheap, so I went for it. I was just going for something good that could replace my old stuff that died. I'm pretty happy so far.

Brian

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I would easily reccomend the 8500/9100 over the 9000, but if you can getting the 9500 would be the best route. it's more future-proofed and a good performer.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I've heard there is a 9500 that can be hacked into a 9700 Pro? Can I ask here where I might pick up one of these cards?

Brian

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
yes, the 9500 128mb NON-pro cards can be hacked into 9700's but you have to make sure of some things: the memory must be in an "L" shape, the inline memory signifies that it will mod into a 9500pro if you run the hack instead of a 9700, which by all means is not bad at all. It's starting to really get tricky to find those cards again as ati is making the new 9500's on a new pcb, which only has the inline memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks