What's new

Polarity Question for replacement speakers (1 Viewer)

Don:::A

Auditioning
I replaced the 6x9 rear speakers in my daughter's Grand Prix with some Pioneer aftermarket coax's. The speakers (admittedly low budget) did not have polarity markings on the lugs, nor was the factory wiring marked. Installation instructions made no mention of +/- wires.

Now, with the L/R balance setting in the middle, it sound like there is no bass at all coming from the rear. If I move the balance all the way left or right, the bass comes back and the speaker that is on (L or R) sounds great. Could incorrect polarity be causing this? How do I know which speaker is wired wrong?

Denton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Denton
Sounds like you got them wired out of phase. If there are no front speakers, simply change the leads on ONE of the 6X9's. (This will get the 6X9's in phase regardless, but the two may be out of phase with any existing front speakers.) Don's predicament is a reminder why it is recommended to buy wiring harness adapters rather than cut the stock wiring. :b

Brian_D

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Easiest way to check is to get a battery, connect the pos of the batt to one of the speaker terminals and the neg of the batt to ther other terminal on the same speaker. Watch the speaker move. If it moves outward it's in phase and where you have the pos batt wire hooked to is the speaker positive. If it moves inward it's out of phase, so just reverse the wires. Don't leave the speaker connected to the battery, just connect one lead and tap the other briefly so you can see what direction the speaker is moving.

Auditioning
Guys, thanks! I was hoping that modern electronics made +/- phase obsolete....oh well..

Good tip on using the battery to find +/- on the speaker....question is how do I tell which is which on the wiring? I understand that changing one of the rear leads will bring the rears in phase, but there are 2 fronts also...

So, depending on which rear speaker I change, I have a 50% chance of having them all in phase... not too bad I guess...

FWIW, I just ordered new door speakers for my 2001 Suburban from Crutchfield, and I AM getting the wiring adapter.

Dean_S

Second Unit
On a Pioneer Speaker one lug should be smaller then the other. The smaller lug is positive, if memory serves, and should be marked (sometimes very difficult to see) on the piece the lugs are attached to. Either way you have one speaker wired out of phase and need to only to swap the wires on one.

Adam R

Auditioning
See if you can find a wiring diagram for the car online, that will tell you which of the factory wires is + and which is -. Or if you cut the wire running to the stock speaker when you pulled it out, you can do the battery method on the stock speaker and see which color wire is + and which is -. Then you can use the battery method to find the + and - on the aftermarket speaker and match them up.

Auditioning
Ahhhh, 20/20 hindsight. I wish I had known about the battery trick before I took out the old speakers and threw them away last month. Lesson learned for next time.

Anyway, I swapped the connections on the right rear speaker last night, and WOW what a difference! The bass is so strong the seats vibrate! Confident now that both rear speakers are in phase, but still not sure if they are in phase with the fronts...oh well, they sound great!

Thanks again for the help on this one!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks