What's new

Playstation3, Apple monitor, and 1080p... (1 Viewer)

ThomasGlen

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas Glen
Greetings!

I'm an IT technician and avid PC gamer. I thought I'd take advantage of the Next-Gen console launches to finally pick up a sub-$200 Playstation 3, since there are a number of PS3 exclusive titles that I'd like to finally play (Uncharted series and Last Of Us spring to mind.)

I can't easily game in the living room, since it's too close to my 4-year-old's bedroom, and the best time for me to play is when he is asleep. That means the 27-inch Apple LED Cinema Display (from 2010, not the "Lightning" model) hooked up to my gaming PC is my best bet. I've identified three possible products for converting the PS3's HDMI signal to the monitor's mini-displayport input:

Kanex HD

Belkin AV360

Altona AT-HD620

The research I've done indicates that the circa-2010 Apple LED Cinema Display will not accept any 1080i signal unless it comes from a compatible Macbook. Anything else either needs to be a supported computer resolution, or 720p. Consequently (and Belkin and Kanex acknowledge this) the Kanex HD and the Belkin AV360 can only send 720p to the Apple display, even if the source is 1080p.

The Altona gets around this problem by scaling 1080p up to the monitor's native resolution of 2650x1600. As I understand, it does a pretty good job of this.

Even though I am willing to pay $200+ for this discontinued item, I am not sure it makes sense to do so for a PS3. I'm reading that most games for the PS3 are upscaled to 1080p by the PS3 itself, and that in some cases, playing a game coded for 720p at an upscaled 1080p can involve a performance hit.

Ignoring the Altona's added functionality (switching) should I stick with the cheaper 720p solutions, or go for the Altona to get a better visual experience?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hi Thomas and welcome to HTF. I'd spend that 200 towards buying a decent 27-32" HDTV for that room rather than wasting it on a dubious cable. Good luck with your decision!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Heck, even wired headphones designed for consoles are OK, since they usually have 10' cords.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks